Coopers Community

Reusing yeast - the starter method

1 hour ago, Beer Baron said:

After the 24 hours do I just let it sit at room temperature or do I cold crash straight away. 

Also how long does it take for the yeast drop when cold crashing and what temperature to cold crash. 

Thanks

Let it sit and finish fermenting etc. It only gets cold crashed after you harvest some. Temp doesn't matter much, just normal fridge temp is fine. Usually it drops in a day or two.

I missed the bit about letting it warm up before pitching, I wouldn't bother, just pitch it cold. Same when pitching the harvested yeast into the next starter.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2

On 7/27/2018 at 7:40 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

What I do is turn off the stir plate after 24 hours then let the starter sit for another couple of days before stirring it all up again.

Does it do any harm to let the plate run for the duration?

Probably not but it's of no benefit either. It only really needs to be agitated during the growing phase. You can usually tell when it stops growing, the colour of the starter gradually gets lighter and then doesn't change.

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Let it sit and finish fermenting etc. It only gets cold crashed after you harvest some. 

I was planning on using all of it and not harvesting any for later use as I don’t really have anything to store it in. 

Will I be over pitching??

BB

Three things can cause this.

1. Your missing a magnet should be 2 of them.
  2. If not 1 then one of the magnet has been fitted wrong way up. should positive up on one and negative up on the other.
  3. Stir bar is too small (or too big?),  ends of stir bar should be at centre of each magnet.

I'm suspecting number 3

I bought the exact same stirrer and use the stir bar that came with it. My mate got the same

took him a couple of goes to get it sorted so it wouldn’t throw the bar. The key is to make sure it is centred, start at zero and slowly wind it up to speed. Doesn’t need to be cranking. For example i put it to approx 1 o’clock on the dial for 20mins to aerate, then dial it down to about 10 o’clock for the remaining 24 hours. Just a small dimple on the surface, no raging whirlpool and bubbles in the flask

13 minutes ago, joolbag said:

The key is to make sure it is centred, start at zero and slowly wind it up to speed.

This may be the issue. If you try to add the flask with the stir plate working then it throws the stir bar around the flask. As Joolbag said, sit the flask on and then turn it up.

What I do with mine is tip the flask so the stir bar is to one side, place that side onto the middle of the stir plate so it grabs the bar, and then position the flask in the centre as best I can. And then turn the stir plate on.

OG will be 1.050. It will be around 36 hours and I figured even if it hasn’t fermented out it will be awake and ready for action. 

I have no idea what the deal was with the stir plate. I just pulled a few bits off and made it look like I knew what I was doing, then put it back together and it worked!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

OG will be 1.050. It will be around 36 hours and I figured even if it hasn’t fermented out it will be awake and ready for action. 

I have no idea what the deal was with the stir plate. I just pulled a few bits off and made it look like I knew what I was doing, then put it back together and it worked!!

Yes your correct, it just may take a little longer to ferment out the wort. See how it goes.