Coopers Community

Reusing yeast - the starter method

Not sure mate. I picked up mine at LHBS for $70, though heated it has no heat control. Suppose it depends where you are going to do this. I"m in Melbourne where its pretty chilly now so i could not do this in the shed or garage without some heat control on the plate. I was looking to get a yeast forge but supplier has been out of stock for months (new design coming). This i suppose leads me to a question for Kelsey. How do you do this in the summer where ambient temperatures even in the garage is 30+? 

That seems a bit silly to make a heated plate without any way to control it. In summer I just do them at room temperature. There's no need to control it like a proper batch, especially if you are crashing and decanting most of it before pitching. Flavour is of no concern, it's purely about growing yeast.

How long since pitching? Mine usually have krausen after 2-3 hours but that's with harvested yeast. New packs or dry packs I remember taking about 6-7 hours to show krausen, and sometimes they don't show any. You can tell it's working though by bubbles rising and the colour changing (more opaque).

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...Titan, you're better off using foil on the flask than a stopper. There needs to be oxygen allowed to get in and gas exchange take place.

+1

One of our old mates here on the forum did something similar with a glass carboy creating pressure inside & paid a heavy price for that. And he was lucky.

An account of what CanadianEh!_L experienced can be found HERE. (with some pics)

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust

Cheers Lusty, I'm aware of this and using the stopper only as a means of keeping my temperature probe suspended in the wort. It is very loose and i can see down the sides if it into the flask its self. Should not be a pressure problem.

Just bottled my first IPA and followed the swirling procedure to drain off most of the yeast cake into a 740ml PET bottle which is now in the fridge. 

The past batch was an 11l brew with half the IPA can, Carapils and LDM. The new one will be the same but with hop additions. Will be good to use the same yeast for comparison.

So should I use about half the yeast in the bottle?

So I’ve been looking through the net to find a good heated stir plate. The yeast forge from digital homebrew looks like the go just no stock nor is there an expected time frame of restocking. Well it says expected in March. 

http://www.digitalhomebrew.com/yeast-forge

Does anyone know of a temp controlled heated stir plate on the market that is actually available similar to this?

cheers

Kirk

Just now, The Captain1525230099 said:

So I’ve been looking through the net to find a good heated stir plate. The yeast forge from digital homebrew looks like the go just no stock nor is there an expected time frame of restocking. Well it says expected in March. 

http://www.digitalhomebrew.com/yeast-forge

Does anyone know of a temp controlled heated stir plate on the market that is actually available similar to this?

cheers

Kirk

They're taking their time. It's been over a year since they were meant to be available. I don't know of any others though.

Yeah it sucks because they're really good. I had to repair mine yesterday because the temp probe lead was loose in its socket inside the unit and wouldn't let me use the heating function on the last one I did. Working again now, other than that I've had no problems with it, must be going on 3 years now.

On 6/25/2018 at 10:04 AM, The Captain1525230099 said:

Yeah fair enough, from what I could gather I thought it had been that long. 

Never mind I’ll just get a standard plate then

Cheers

Kirk

I have the standard stir plate from Digital Home Brew and it works well. If your house is warm enough to live in then it should be fine for the yeast. 

Yeah thanks Hairy. That’s kinda what I was thinking but I find myself wearing jumpers and jeans to keep warm. Can you get Little jumpers and little jeans for yeast? ?

trying my hardest to support local here too. I’m probably being a little picky but I want a small one, like the digital homebrew ones are. The ones I’ve seen at my LHBS have been rediculously large

Anyway, I’ll keep looking around

Captain