ian.c

Help, why my beer is flat and watery?

Hello everyone, today i just pour my 1st beer, it taste very  flat, low carbonation and watery without any foam.

1.7Kg extract kit (Blonde Style)

1Kg  ( Dextrose, Maltodextrin)

Ferment it on 22c for 9 days and bottling with 2 carbonation drops

and store it at 22c for 2 weeks

any idea i can improve it on my 2nd brew?

thank you

IMG_3860.JPG

You could leave it longer to see if the carbonation itself increases although two weeks at 22C should be more than enough time, but if you want better head retention and not as watery then steer clear of using large amounts of dextrose and replace it with light dry malt. You'll get a more full bodied beer and also better flavor.

Does it taste sweet? What was the FG?

44 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

You could leave it longer to see if the carbonation itself increases although two weeks at 22C should be more than enough time, but if you want better head retention and not as watery then steer clear of using large amounts of dextrose and replace it with light dry malt. You'll get a more full bodied beer and also better flavor.

Try another week and see, is cooper brew enhancer 2 good enough?

22 minutes ago, Titan said:

Does it taste sweet? What was the FG?

No it is not sweet, flat and it has honey like after taste, OG is 1.040 FG is at 1.008 or 1.010

My first batch was nice as I added hops however I also felt mine was watery, I used brew enhancer 2 and 500g of DME. Do all the bottles feel under carbonated? A few of mine were because I think I didn't seal the lids properly during the bottling or accidentally added only 1 carbonation drop. Might have just been your first beer which was under carbonated.

For my next one I added 1.5 kg of DME, 200g of light crystal malt and made to 23 L again, it already tasted a lot less watery however only bottled few days ago so haven't properly tried it. If it is watery again I will make to 19 L instead next time.

Edited by highlands

1 hour ago, ian.c said:

Try another week and see, is cooper brew enhancer 2 good enough?

Enhancer 2 contains 500g dextrose.  It does contain 250g each of dry malt and maltodextrin (which doesn't ferment at all) but I think you will prefer a kit beer made with 100% dry malt as the addition by the sounds of it, or a tin of unhopped liquid extract. You could try enhancer 2, or even enhancer 3 and see how they go though. Even try different kits, the pale ale type ones will probably turn out less watery as well.

A bit strange Highlands. I brew a lot of kit beer, I'm and old fart with not much money. Recently I have been brewing Coopers OS Lager. The kit yeast is n not a lager yeast but it doesn't matter. I always use BE2 with it, and I find I get a beer worth drinking. Far better than the commercial cat's piss that is available. The maltodextrin in BE2, not being fermentable, gives some mouth feel to the beer which I believe is generally missing in the commercial beers. I also like brewing Coopers OS Dark Ale. Again I use BE2 and get a nice drinking beer.

Honestly, kit beers are quite good, but they cannot match AG or even BIAB. By adding crystal and similar, along with additional hops, and even a different yeast, you will improve your kit beer. Guess it comes down to what you expect from a kit beer.

Cheers

Bill

Edited by Phoenix76

24 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

BIAB is AG ?

Keep telling yourself that ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

Keep telling yourself that ?

Let's not start another pilsner is fermented with lager yeast but isn't a lager debate ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Phoenix76 said:

Honestly, kit beers are quite good, but they cannot match AG or even BIAB.

Yes they can. Lusty makes some awesome beers.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Completely agree. I’ve tasted some kit beers that have been phenomenal. Mostly other people’s and one or two my own. 

My fathers lager was exceptional and for me lagers need to be exceptional for me to enjoy them. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, highlands said:

My first batch was nice as I added hops however I also felt mine was watery, I used brew enhancer 2 and 500g of DME. Do all the bottles feel under carbonated? A few of mine were because I think I didn't seal the lids properly during the bottling or accidentally added only 1 carbonation drop. Might have just been your first beer which was under carbonated.

For my next one I added 1.5 kg of DME, 200g of light crystal malt and made to 23 L again, it already tasted a lot less watery however only bottled few days ago so haven't properly tried it. If it is watery again I will make to 19 L instead next time.

I just move my beer to a warmer place for a week and see how it taste and will try other bottle as well. I will add extra DME for my next batch, currently im brewing Cooper Mexican Cerveza with brewing enhancer 2, wonder how this 1 taste like

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Enhancer 2 contains 500g dextrose.  It does contain 250g each of dry malt and maltodextrin (which doesn't ferment at all) but I think you will prefer a kit beer made with 100% dry malt as the addition by the sounds of it, or a tin of unhopped liquid extract. You could try enhancer 2, or even enhancer 3 and see how they go though. Even try different kits, the pale ale type ones will probably turn out less watery as well.

I mistakenly bottled my Aus Pale Ale last night omg.... the fermentation is only 7 days and the gravity is 1.010 before my break my gravity meter, i bottled it in a 330ml (1 carbo drops) and 640ml (2 carbo drop) beers bottle, am i creating a bom??

4 hours ago, Phoenix76 said:

A bit strange Highlands. I brew a lot of kit beer, I'm and old fart with not much money. Recently I have been brewing Coopers OS Lager. The kit yeast is n not a lager yeast but it doesn't matter. I always use BE2 with it, and I find I get a beer worth drinking. Far better than the commercial cat's piss that is available. The maltodextrin in BE2, not being fermentable, gives some mouth feel to the beer which I believe is generally missing in the commercial beers. I also like brewing Coopers OS Dark Ale. Again I use BE2 and get a nice drinking beer.

Honestly, kit beers are quite good, but they cannot match AG or even BIAB. By adding crystal and similar, along with additional hops, and even a different yeast, you will improve your kit beer. Guess it comes down to what you expect from a kit beer.

Cheers

Bill

I wana try add some hops for the next coming batch

1 hour ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Completely agree. I’ve tasted some kit beers that have been phenomenal. Mostly other people’s and one or two my own. 

My fathers lager was exceptional and for me lagers need to be exceptional for me to enjoy them. 

great, do you mind share with me which kit did you use and how did you brew it?

thank you

1 hour ago, ian.c said:

I mistakenly bottled my Aus Pale Ale last night omg.... the fermentation is only 7 days and the gravity is 1.010 before my break my gravity meter, i bottled it in a 330ml (1 carbo drops) and 640ml (2 carbo drop) beers bottle, am i creating a bom??

Probably a bit early to bottle but at that gravity the fermentation should be finished so from a bomb perspective you're probably fine. 

It does help the beer to leave it a few days after fermentation finishes before bottling, lets the yeast clean up any byproducts etc. for a better tasting beer.

Cheers

Kelsey

9 hours ago, ian.c said:

great, do you mind share with me which kit did you use and how did you brew it?

thank you

Coopers pale can, 

coopers brew enhancer 2

Light dry malt mixed to make up 2l of wort at 1.040 bring to boil turn off heat added 20g of desired hops steeped for 10 mins. I usually used something along the lines of cascade, Riwaka, Mosaic, or Simcoe. 

Put it all in the fermenter and pitched US-05 at 19 degrees. 

Dry hopped with 40g of same hop used at steeping.

Bottle wait for four weeks.

Enjoy.

Edited by The Captain1525230099
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

You're quite right Ben 10. I was just making a generalisation. Have seen kit beers win at shows including one of mine, a Coopers Pale Ale Citra.

15 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

BIAB is AG ?

Of course Kelsey, just a different way of doing it.

Exactly, but my point was there's no difference between AG and BIAB. The method can produce beers just as good or better than ones done on a 3V system, it just depends on the recipe and the skills of the brewer. 

I was really worried about a 'Draught' that I bottled in February. After two and three weeks it was flat. Then it became fizzy in a very cola type of way after a few more weeks. It was brewed with a OS draught can and LDM so I was a bit disappointed. Just tried one last night and it was really good. Reasonably fine head and small beading through the beer itself.

So I think the message is that some beers need time in the bottle to come good. This is small comfort for those who have just brewed their first batch and are eager to try it but it seems to be a factor. Also I understand that home brew should ideally spend at least two days in the fridge for the carbonation to operate correctly. Others on here know more about the mechanism than I do.

Lastly, I also understand that high ABV beers take longer to carbonate (although perhaps not in your case - the spreadsheet I use indicates that it should be around 4.0% ABV for a 23l batch).

For my last brew I was advised to use 200gm cracked carapils malt grain in addition to the LDM (it was a 11 litre batch). It turned out really well with a good head and carbonation even after only two weeks in the bottle.

Carbonation and head retention are related but somewhat separate issues. For example, steeping Carapils might result in better head retention, but it's not gonna make the beer carbonate any quicker.

Time in the fridge applies to any beer that is at room temp. It doesn't really matter if it's home brewed or commercially brewed, it still needs time for the CO2 that's been released into the headspace from being stored at warmer temps to be absorbed back into the beer in the bottle. I don't know if it takes a full 2 days, but that amount of time does give certainty that it has.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Carbonation and head retention are related but somewhat separate issues. For example, steeping Carapils might result in better head retention, but it's not gonna make the beer carbonate any quicker.

Time in the fridge applies to any beer that is at room temp. It doesn't really matter if it's home brewed or commercially brewed, it still needs time for the CO2 that's been released into the headspace from being stored at warmer temps to be absorbed back into the beer in the bottle. I don't know if it takes a full 2 days, but that amount of time does give certainty that it has.

Well that clears up the 2 days issue even for commercial beer. I guess why the commercial beers generally are OK with less time in the fridge is because they have all sorts of doodads in the brewery and other additives to produce a consistent result. One question I did have, and I've started a two bottle experiment, is if the reintroduction of CO2 back into the beer is related more to time for cooling or the 'amount' of cooling that the beer experiences. So, if the beer were to be put into the freezer and cooled down almost to freezing point, would the carbonation be similar to that of a bottle which was simply cooled down to 5 degrees in the fridge door for a day or two? Last night I put a bottle in the freezer and one in the door of the fridge. I opened the one in the freezer after an hour or two.  It performed quite well. I'll open the other one in the next day or so and subjectively compare.

Edited by DonPolo