Coopers Community

Craft Beer Prices - Getting Expensive or Just Me?

DonPolo

Is it just me or is $12.99 for a Pirate Life IIPA 500ml at Dan's getting a bit expensive? OK some of this is higher excise because it's 8.8 ABV and presumably they take care and use superior ingredients. There are a lot of others like Stone & Wood, Balter and Sierra Nevada in the $5-$6-50 range but remember we're talking Dan Murphy prices here. It sure make brewing your own look attractive. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, some of it is pricey.

But if you take a $6.50 beer at 355mls and convert to 500mls, that gives you $9.15. Then increase it for the higher costs of brewing an 8.8% abv beer (including excise) then you are almost there.

But given they are owned by the big boys now you would have hoped that costs would be reduced.

2 minutes ago, Hairy said:

...But given they are owned by the big boys now you would have hoped that costs would be reduced.

If the bean counters get hold of it, it will. And so will the quality of the beer. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

I think alcohol prices in general are bloody ridiculous in this country. Any wonder I buy $30 cartons of Hollandia when I run out of home brew. I can't justify forking out anywhere from $60-$100 for a carton of something I can brew similar to at home for a fraction of the price. Was alright when I was living at home but not anymore.

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I think alcohol prices in general are bloody ridiculous in this country. Any wonder I buy $30 cartons of Hollandia when I run out of home brew. I can't justify forking out anywhere from $60-$100 for a carton of something I can brew similar to at home for a fraction of the price. Was alright when I was living at home but not anymore.

It’s a difficult one. But seriously why pay more than what you pay for Hollandia or Oettinger to get megaswill beers that don’t taste any better.

I lived in Canada for a couple of years and it was actually cheaper to go out and drink in the bars then it is to buy cartons to take home. My local used to sell Pabst Blue ribbon tall cans for $3.75 and had all u can eat popcorn for free. A carton of the local megaswill was close to $60.

I did a road trip around the states and loved it because after a long day driving I could pull into a servo and buy a litre can of Miller high Life for about $2-$3.

Still, beer prices here are a joke. I remember when Carlton dry first came out and was called Carlton premium dry. One of the local pubs bottle shop used to sell it for $30 a carton, before it became pretty popular. The uni students (myself included) used to snap it up really quick. The pub would order about 3 pallets of the stuff and get it on Thursday and it'd be gone by the weekend.

I've gotta give credit to Cooper's though. After trying their beers years ago it's what got me started in trying craft beers and breweries as Cooper's seem to be the only major brewery that offers anything other than just a lager as a main stream option around the country.

My wife is a kiwi and we go back to NZ all the time. I love being able to get a speights carton for $30. 

And still able to get a pint up the coramandel for $5

It wasn’t that long ago i paid $12 for pint of JS at a pub. I thought to myself yeah, just the one. 

On 6/6/2018 at 10:35 AM, karlos_1984 said:

I've gotta give credit to Cooper's though. After trying their beers years ago it's what got me started in trying craft beers and breweries as Cooper's seem to be the only major brewery that offers anything other than just a lager as a main stream option around the country.

Yep, Coopers commercial beers are still well priced for what you get. No way I can afford $80 - $100 a case and up for the more exotic craft options these days. And they're usually not even fresh anyway.

John

12 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

My wife is a kiwi and we go back to NZ all the time. I love being able to get a speights carton for $30. 

And still able to get a pint up the coramandel for $5

It wasn’t that long ago i paid $12 for pint of JS at a pub. I thought to myself yeah, just the one. 

Woe $5 for a pint? AUD or NZD?

I was at the local bottlo that gets really good beers in.  I was a little shocked that a NEIPA from the states was there. I understand that these beers are enjoyed fresh as you can get with a drink by date within the month of bottling. 

It’s got to be way past that by the time they get here from the states.

captain

On 6/5/2018 at 12:38 PM, DonPolo said:

Is it just me or is $12.99 for a Pirate Life IIPA 500ml at Dan's getting a bit expensive? OK some of this is higher excise because it's 8.8 ABV and presumably they take care and use superior ingredients. There are a lot of others like Stone & Wood, Balter and Sierra Nevada in the $5-$6-50 range but remember we're talking Dan Murphy prices here. It sure make brewing your own look attractive. 

Paying 13 bucks for any 500 ml of beer is ridiculous, given that it is commercial beer, regardless of what they call it. Calling beer " craft beer" to me is the same as calling sourdough bread " craft bread" or "artisan bread" or sticking a tiny piece of fetta cheese in a pretty jar and charging $20  or repacking cherry tomatoes, calling them "gourmet" and selling them at 5 times higher prices.  I understand that in case of "craft" beers they actually take care of their brew and final product tastes (sometimes) as it should, but at the end of the day it is commercially brewed beer  that does not warrant a price hike of 300 or more %.  

3 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

$50 for new hop theif. Is James Squire craft beer?

One could argue that it depends on where it is brewed.  If brewed at The Malt Shovel Brewery, Camperdown then "YES".  

i remember coming here in 2012 and going to the Little Creatures brewery in Fremantle and was taken aback. I had never seen anything like it. Guinness factory in Dublin is kind of impressive but this was on another level. Then i sampled the pale ale and it blew my mind. Then Lion took over and it slowly started to resemble pi$$water

I was at my mates last week for a BBQ , he said not to bring any beer cos he had cartons of Little Creatures Pale Ale. 

I still brought my homebrew thank God. 

31 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

i remember coming here in 2012 and going to the Little Creatures brewery in Fremantle and was taken aback. I had never seen anything like it. Guinness factory in Dublin is kind of impressive but this was on another level. Then i sampled the pale ale and it blew my mind. Then Lion took over and it slowly started to resemble pi$$water

I was at my mates last week for a BBQ , he said not to bring any beer cos he had cartons of Little Creatures Pale Ale. 

I still brought my homebrew thank God. 

Hey Paddy,

i lived just down the road from creatures in 2011 for about a year but honestly have never liked any of their beers. 

Its great to go down for a feed but honestly, much rather go to the Monk for an excellent beer and a great feed.

If it’s just a pint ya after the Sail and Anchor has a great array of tasty craft beers from all over Australia and there own.

Captain 

i have to admit , i liked their pale ale, golden ale and their IPA. but when the conglomerate took over it was goodnight irene. I still go there every now and then cos the missus loves their chilli mussels but beer wise, you certainly don't get value for money. and it doesnt matter how many hot hipster waitresses they  throw at you, if it tastes like pish,it tastes like pish

On 6/10/2018 at 7:57 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

i have to admit , i liked their pale ale, golden ale and their IPA. but when the conglomerate took over it was goodnight irene. I still go there every now and then cos the missus loves their chilli mussels but beer wise, you certainly don't get value for money. and it doesnt matter how many hot hipster waitresses they  throw at you, if it tastes like pish,it tastes like pish

I'm extremely concerned the same fate will evantuate for pirate life. I love their beers and when the new brewery and taphouse is setup in Port Adelaide I'm worried the big wigs that bought it will eventually change the recipe and water it down for cost effectiveness etc.

When I first tried Little Creatures Bright Ale on a hot summers day at lunch on a work trip to Melbourne I was blown away. I'd never tasted a fruity beer before and it was so refreshing. Haven't tried it for a long time. Even if it hasn't changed I'm sure it will never recapture my impression all that time ago. This video reminded me of one of my biggest 'finger nails on the chalk board terms': "easy drinking".

https://littlecreatures.com.au/beers/bright-ale/

Seriously, does anyone advertise their beer as 'hard or medium drinking'? "Oh those other beers, they're just wimpy easy drinking beers. , Try ours; it is a real hard drinking beer" ... leave me alone!

Archived