Coopers Community

Beersmith 3

joolbag

Hey Jools, are you going to give it a try? Sounds like quite a few features have been added. 

Brad sent another email a while back asking for feedback for incorporation into Beersmith. I explained the reasons why I had stopped using Beersmith some time ago and wondered if Brad would like to address any of the issues in v3. Unfortunately his reply was 'yes they are valid issues but are too hard to address as they impact a large number of functions across the codebase'.

As a software developer I find this a little strange to hear as I do fairly complex refactoring all the time. So I guess I'm stuck with my custom spreadsheet (which although fairly rudimentary does not have the same fundamental flaws) until I get enough time to turn it into my own bit of for personal use.

Edit: Not trying to dissuade anyone from using Beersmith as it does offer quite a lot of features, and you can work around it's flaws with a bit of creativity. 

Cheers, 

John

I’ll wait for Otto and others to buy it first, get some reviews and then make a decision! In all likelihood I will buy it to support Brad and I will use some of the features. I just won’t be an early adopter

I saw those pricing! Yes $9.95 a year is most reasonable. I like the idea of ALL of my recipes and Brewdog being in the cloud. Often I am at work and want to look up a recipe and it isn't in the 15 I have in my cloud storage.

My tin-arse mate only bought beer Smith 2 this year, so gets a gold subscription for free! Lucky timing

I store my recipes in a notepad, that way they'll never get lost and I don't have to pay a subscription fee every year either. However the improved functions of the new Beersmith make it worth the small cost per year even if I don't use the cloud to store anything. I'll look into it soon.

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I store my recipes in a notepad, that way they'll never get lost and I don't have to pay a subscription fee every year either. However the improved functions of the new Beersmith make it worth the small cost per year even if I don't use the cloud to store anything. I'll look into it soon.

It's easy when you only have two recipes; Czech Pilsner and Red Ale null

• 1 month later...

Just downloaded BS3, looks like some good features have been added to it. I like the estimated mash pH actually changing based on the ingredients and water profile now, although it doesn't really adhere to the 0.1pH drop per 1% of acid malt added. Other factors may influence that though. Pretty much the same in terms of user interface, with some minor changes. The water profile tool is better too, with a few more style-related profiles added rather than just famous cities. 

• 5 months later...

So, I’ve been using BeerSmith for a while now and started a folder with finished recipes. So these are the ones that I have been working on over time to perfect to my tastes. I’ve gone to write them in a book tonight and guess what, no folder to be seen. So disappointed in myself that I hadn’t written them down previous. 

And so pissed off with the program, it’s not like I would have deleted the folder.

I've lost a couple of recipes in the beersmith cloud as well. It has a bunch of long running bugs in it that aren't getting addressed, and it's 1990's UI is getting tiring. Looking for an alternative and the recent threads on brewfather is tempting me to try switching for a while. 

23 minutes ago, Wobbly74 said:

I've lost a couple of recipes in the beersmith cloud as well. It has a bunch of long running bugs in it that aren't getting addressed, and it's 1990's UI is getting tiring. Looking for an alternative and the recent threads on brewfather is tempting me to try switching for a while. 

Luckily I’ve posted most of my brews on the forum so I can gather them back

Archived