Coopers Community

fermented sauerkraut

ChristinaS1

Just making my first batch of lacto fermented sauerkraut, with pineapple, ginger, and turmeric. Interesting process. This time around I am just using a ziplock bag filled with water to keep it submerged, and keep the air out (more or less).  It is supposed to be good for our gut and immune system. I have had sauerkraut made with vinegar before, as a kid, and hated it, but don't think I have ever had lacto fermented sauerkraut. Hopefully I will like it; I guess we will find out in 6-8 weeks.

To anyone else who is making lacto fermented food, I'd be interested in hearing what kind of lid / system you use to keep the ferment anaerobic? I'd be especially interested in cheap, DIY approaches.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 2

I use a ziplock bag too. I love sauerkraut, the purple cabbage makes a really good one. I have a turmeric ferment finished in the fridge too - we grow it - as well as lime, chilli, kimchi and lemon. I have made eggplant in the past and enjoy that too. It should not take 6 to 8 weeks either. I find with cabbage it is better to be shorter to retain some crispness.

• Like 1

Hi Ben. Do you mean you have fermented limes, lemons, and chillies? Interesting! I have garlic growing in my garden and in a few weeks it will be time to harvest the scapes. I'd like to try fermenting them. Have you? Do you have a recipe you'd recommend? 

Good to know the ziplock bag works for you....About when would you suggest I check the sauerkraut?

Cheers,

Christina.

The book I use suggests after 4 days. Fermented Vegetables by Christopher Shockey is brilliant, I HIGHLY recommend the book. And yes to A preserved lemon, a preserved lime and several chilli ferments.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds delicious Ben. I like sausages, but unfortunately I am allergic to pork. ?  I recently bought a dehydrator and have started making my own beef jerky, and that is kinda good.  

I have yet to eat my sauerkraut. There was a bit of mold growing around the edges of my water bag, which did not seem to extend into the kraut. I tried a small sample and it tasted more salty than sour, so I put in a new bag of water and sprayed it with Starsan from the top, but the same thing happened. Not sure if it is safe to eat. What do you reckon Ben?

I am looking around for a 2L glass jar with a plastic lid, so I can drill a hole in it and put in an air lock. I don't want to pay the big bucks they are charging for anaerobic fermenters online.

It will soon be garlic scape time here. I'd like to try fermenting them. I have also planted four cabbages in my garden, to make kraut with this fall.

Cheers,

Christina.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Craig from Craigtube did a sauerkraut how-to video. I got a little excited when I saw how simple it was to make but then I remembered I don't really like sauerkraut that much. His video led me to some dill pickles videos and I made a batch today. These aren't fermented though...fridge dill pickles.

I've already eaten half a jar and they've only been in the brine for 8 hours.

IMG20200103210611.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 8 months later...