Coopers Community

Hop Sensation

wills15

Hi Guys,

I am curious to find out if anyone has tried a product called hop sensation, which is supposed to be 100% hop extract, it comes in a liquid form, and you add a little at a time after fermentation has finished and just before you bottle,you keep adding until you get the flavour that you are after, my lhbs has started stocking it and I am wondering if anyone has tried it and is it any good .

Wills.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies .

I am going to pick up a peach melba today. Whats the worst that can happen?? if the brew turns out undrinkable. I will just give it to the wife ?

• Haha 1

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, Green Blob said:

Yes I have

And...? 😄

I got told years back, by an industrial chemist who had decades working in the brewing industry, that hops extracts make 2nd rate beers. 

Mind you, if I had listened to all he told me I would never have gotten into home brew - he made it sound like an incredibly complicated and delicate process. I think he was building his beers by individually hand-crafted molecules. 😄 

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Norris! said:

Anyone used the cascade, mosaic, columbus or simcoe hop resin extract stuff in a plunger for late additions and whirlpool for aroma and flavour?

Something like this? https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/hopshot

I’ve been looking into this as a clean bittering addiction for a triple or double IPA. To make it taste less vegetive 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I’ve been looking into this as a clean bittering addiction for a triple or double IPA. To make it taste less vegetive 

I am almost in the same boat but want to get all the bittering, flavour and aroma from 1 addition, the whirlpool and thought these might help with the veggie taste. I get some hop burn from a lot of my beers and want to see if this helps.

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

I am almost in the same boat but want to get all the bittering, flavour and aroma from 1 addition, the whirlpool and thought these might help with the veggie taste. I get some hop burn from a lot of my beers and want to see if this helps.

Not sure if there is much flavour to these things or not. So maybe you won’t get much flavour compared to actual hops?

Yeah I don't know, but I was hoping since they had mosaic, simcoe and cascade it would bring some flavour and aroma. I am going to try to find some here in Oz and give it a go.  Worse case scenario the beer tastes horrible...might try it on an unbittered extract batch 1st go and see what it brings, to save on the time side if I don't use it right .

Sorry, worked.

The resin is VERY VERY good, provides a good clean big hit, really great flavour too.

I have used the cryo hops in a recent brew - Citra - and they are AMAZING, @The Captain!! perhaps use resin for bittering then cryo late and you should get massive flavour with minimum vegetable crap

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Green Blob said:

Sorry, worked.

The resin is VERY VERY good, provides a good clean big hit, really great flavour too.

I have used the cryo hops in a recent brew - Citra - and they are AMAZING, @The Captain!! perhaps use resin for bittering then cryo late and you should get massive flavour with minimum vegetable crap

That’s exactly what I was going to do. But a little bit of T90 just to give it some vege but less that normal. I’ve used a heap of Cryo in the past and yeah it’s pretty bloody awesome 

• Like 2