Coopers Community

Hello folks, I purchased a Cooper's DIY Brewing Kit today and have just emptied the ingredients into the container and have let it sit for a few hours. I have noticed that there are quite a few lumps floating on the surface of the brew and on the bottom is a layer of a substance that looks like grease. Is this normal or have I ruined my first brew? I tested the gravity of the brew and it ranged around the 35 mark and had the original temperature at about 28, a little higher than the recommended temp but could not help it.

I'm a first time brewer and the box didn't come with any instructions and could not find any information in here as of yet.

Hi zane,

I'm also a relative newcomer but don't think you need to panic too much. The lumps are most likely some of whatever brewing sugar you used that didn't dissolve, they'll dissolve over time. Not too sure about the grease though? You're best to try to ferment at a lower temp if possible, there are instructions (including videos) on another area of the site, here's a link to the FAQ https://www.diybeer.com/au/faqs

Hope it all works out, have a look at the FAQ and that should fill you in on how to check the fermentation is completed, tips for cooling your fermenter etc. Biggest improvements in my brewing came with good sterilisation and temperature control.

Good luck!

Neil

I'm thinking that grease looking substance at the bottom is normal then since I see it in the video at 3:30. Alright thanks guys, hopefully my first brew will work out. Am very keen.

Archived