Coopers Community

Coopers DIY Kit Lager Day 9- still not ready

Ducky_29

Hi All,

First time brewer looking for some advice.

i have the standard Coopers brewing kit with 'lager'.

On day 7 I had a reading of 1016

Day 8 I had a reading of 1014 (so assumed I needed another 1014 to bottle)

Day 9 I'm getting 1010

In one of the DIY videos it says 1012-1016 should be the FG.

Should I bottle or wait for another 1010? I'm worried it's past the point of bottling.

Note- beer has been kept at 17-20c 

all good atm. give it a few more days to make sure it has completed fermintation. I would say you are getting close to bottling leave it till say day 11 and check FG then check again at day 12 and if no change then you can bottle.

There is not a huge rush to bottle, I might be wrong, but even if you left it another week you would be fine.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

So it's still not an issue even with the Fermenting vessel being an unsealed type? 

The instructions make it sound like it will go off if not bottled immediately.

It won't go off. I use my airlock style fermenter in the same way as the Coopers fermenters are designed. Replaced the airlock with gaffer tape over the hole and back the lid off a bit to allow the gas to vent. Haven't had any problems.

It's possible your hydrometer is reading lower than the true SG as well. Test it in water at 20°C, it should read 1.000. If it's under that, you need to add the difference to the reading. 

I leave mine in there about 2.5 weeks with the final week spent at 0°C, lagers get four weeks with the final two weeks at 0, although that lager kit comes with ale yeast so treat it as an ale. I'm guessing you won't be dropping the temp like that so just give it a few more days, make sure the SG is stable and you will be ok to bottle it.

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived