Beer Baron

Same Recipe, Different taste

I have made my house IPA for the third time and my first 2 were great and tasted the same but the third is much different. Recipes have been the same and brew days have been the same maybe beside a gravity point different here or there. 

Between the first two brews and the third I moved but it was only about 3 kilometres away. At the old house with the first two brews I used a water filter attached to my sink but the new house doesn’t have one yet so I just used tap water. The latest beer tastes quite plain and doesn’t have the big hop aroma and flavour. The difference is chalk and cheese  

Can the difference in water make the BIG difference??

is it time to get an RO filter and build my own profile??

Thanks

Water is the main ingredient in beer so yeah it could make a hell of difference.

I know my beer tasted better after I put my filter on my water supply 

cheers

captain

26 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Water is the main ingredient in beer so yeah it could make a hell of difference.

I know my beer tasted better after I put my filter on my water supply 

cheers

captain

I have a filter to put on but have been too lazy but this might just be the kick in the butt I need to start experimenting with water. 

Beer Baron

4 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

I have made my house IPA for the third time and my first 2 were great and tasted the same but the third is much different.

Just out of interest, what is your house IPA recipe mate?

15 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

Just out of interest, what is your house IPA recipe mate?

2D8F8936-692C-455B-8101-C9BCEF6F9C81.jpeg

58A7C44F-97B3-4563-B67F-68232B86751D.jpeg

9C543508-5F0F-4E94-972B-9F67CE917B1C.jpeg

Nice. Will have to attempt this as a BIAB one day. Cheers for that.

The dry hop, is that added at day 7 of fermentation, or do u dry hop for 7 days then bottle/keg?

Yes the water can make a difference. It's mostly due to the mineral content; different water profiles will have different effects on the final product. I experimented with this on my pilsner recipe. Usually I use very soft water that I make by distilling all water for the batch and then adding back small amounts of minerals. These beers always turn out well. I tried one with untreated tap water once just to see what difference it made, and the beer wasn't as nice. It tasted a bit dull by comparison. However this water works well with other styles like dark ales. 

I treat the water with minerals regardless of beer style, the style just determines which minerals and how much of them I use. I add more sulphate than chloride for hoppy beers and the opposite for malty styles. Lagers are the only style I create a water profile from scratch with the distilled water.

Cheers

Kelsey

12 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

...The latest beer tastes quite plain and doesn’t have the big hop aroma and flavour. The difference is chalk and cheese  

Given we are talking about hop flavour & aroma, I would ask what storage methods do you employ for your hops?

How old were the hops being used? Were they fresh?

How long between batch one of your IPA & this third brewing? And were the hops used from the same bags as batch 1?

12 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

Can the difference in water make the BIG difference??

I understand the impact water profile can have on hop notes, but to be classed as "chalk & cheese" with a 375gm hop bill, I personally wouldn't have thought water could make that much of a difference. I'd be more inclined to think it is hop related.

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

I don’t store any beer ingredients and buy them from my homebrew guy whenever I am about to brew and I’m pretty sure everything is fresh but I can’t be sure. 

Ok well the hops themselves probably aren't the issue. Could be the water. How much of the mineral content does the filter remove? I've never had one.

I’m not too sure to be honest. I’ll have to read the instructions and actually install the filter to see the difference for next time. 

6 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

I don’t store any beer ingredients and buy them from my homebrew guy whenever I am about to brew and I’m pretty sure everything is fresh but I can’t be sure. 

So you buy your hops in 125gm baggy's (that's according to your recipe listing)? There were no carryovers from previous brews?

If this is the case, you would be quite unique given my knowledge of hop quantity sales by distributors across AUS & abroad.

Lusty.

4 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

My home brew guys sells hops by the gram

Well that certainly qualifies as "unique".

Excuse my ignorance in this case.

I obviously have much to learn about water profiles.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Well that certainly qualifies as "unique".

Excuse my ignorance in this case.

I obviously have much to learn about water profiles.

Cheers,

Lusty.

My LHBS sells by the gram too, also in 100g and 500g bags.

Captain

Edited by The Captain1525230099

Does anyone know the best book to buy to learn about the home brewing side of water water. 

Thanks!!

Beer Baron 

Water: A Comprehensive Guide for Brewers by John Palmer and Colin Kaminski

It isn't light reading and there are no wizards or elves in it.

Beer Baron, you should try to get a water report for your local area as a starting point. I make water adjustments to my water but my tap water is actually OK for brewing most beers and although the water additions help, I wouldn't notice as much of a difference as you seem to have.

If your tap water is fairly good, I would probably agree with Lusty and put most of the blame on the hops. My last pale ale was made with hops that were getting on in age. Even though they had been stored in the freezer, I noticed much less hop presence in the beer and the bitterness was well short of what I was expecting.

Also, there are a lot of variables in brewing and it is hard to replicate the exact same beer in the home environment. You can make the same beer over and over and find there are slight differences each time. The difference you have noticed seems to be more than slight though.

I got a water report but I think I need a degree to read it. I had absolutely no idea what I was looking at. 

Looks similar to Brisbane water. All the important minerals are there: calcium, chloride, sulphate, magnesium, sodium, and bicarbonate can be worked out from total hardness. It's good brewing water. As it stands it's geared more towards malty beers with the higher chloride than sulphate ratio, however throwing a few grams of gypsum and perhaps some Epsom salts into the brewing water would increase the sulphate and bring out the hops more.