Coopers Community

This DIY thing of ours

PaddyBrew2

The pride and satisfaction I get from making my own things is the reason I keep going back.

I make my own beer, bacon, jerky and sausages and my wife makes our bread daily and rolls when we want them. She also cooks a great cake.

I plan to make a vegetable garden very soon and will hopefully grow carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes and beetroot but it will depend on my location and how much water and sun is needed etc. I still have more reading to do.

31 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I plan to make a vegetable garden very soon and will hopefully grow carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes and beetroot but it will depend on my location and how much water and sun is needed etc. I still have more reading to do.

Nice one B.B. I grow a lot of veges and fruit. 

ABC gardening Australia website is a good source of info, also Diggers. Diggers sell all sorts of weird and wonderful heirloom veges. 

I have in the past given advice to people starting out with small vege patches to grow stuff that isn’t easy to get/expensive. 

I think most veges taste better from the patch then from the super market. 

Even though spuds are relatively cheap you’ll never taste spuds like straight from the garden. But carrots are carrots, unless you grow some heirloom varieties that do taste better. 

Tomatoes are amazing homegrown and so many varieties to choose from. 

Look into crop rotation and obviously plant to the season. 

And the best thing for your veges patch is compost.

We have a bread maker which makes beautiful bread, but it tastes so good I would end up eating it all. 

I have a small garden, grow seasonal vegetables, mainly things we eat a lot of..  The kids love eating tomatoes straight from the garden

51 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Nice one B.B. I grow a lot of veges and fruit. 

ABC gardening Australia website is a good source of info, also Diggers. Diggers sell all sorts of weird and wonderful heirloom veges. 

I have in the past given advice to people starting out with small vege patches to grow stuff that isn’t easy to get/expensive. 

I think most veges taste better from the patch then from the super market. 

Even though spuds are relatively cheap you’ll never taste spuds like straight from the garden. But carrots are carrots, unless you grow some heirloom varieties that do taste better. 

Tomatoes are amazing homegrown and so many varieties to choose from. 

Look into crop rotation and obviously plant to the season. 

And the best thing for your veges patch is compost.

Thanks for your help Captain

12 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Hey, I bake a loaf from time to time. 

Tip: get your oven humid, put a bowl of water in as your heating it up and keep it in there when your baking. Also spray water in via a spray bottle just before you put your loaf in. Makes for a nice crust and a fluffy inside. 

Kirk

I used the water on the top of the loaf but didn't use water in the oven. I didn't let it rise long enough before baking it, so it ended up being dense. I'll leave it longer next time and try the bowl of water in the oven too.

23 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I used the water on the top of the loaf but didn't use water in the oven. I didn't let it rise long enough before baking it, so it ended up being dense. I'll leave it longer next time and try the bowl of water in the oven too.

The first couple of batches I did the same thing.  Dense loaves and over cooked crust.

spray the inside of your over with water so it’s really humid. The water tends to hold the humidity after your spray

Archived