Coopers Community

Captain’s American Brown Ale

Gday Trendsetters.

Ive been doing some reading into American Browns and I think I might try make one. 

Ive only recently started getting into darker beers. 

Some of the best browns I’ve had were from Moo brew and The Beer Farm.

Please have a look at this malt bill and see what you think.

Havent got a hop schedule yet so suggestions welcomed. I want something American but pushing the limits on what would be to style. 

Cheers

Captain

8385F8DC-8059-4368-B75D-2352D70A9A6E.png

29 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

When I first saw it, I misread the title of your thread and thought it said, "Captain America's Brown Ale." ?

Looks like a recipe fit for the man himself. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Ha ha ha That’s a fair call. 

Whats your thoughts on a hop bill for this Christina? American C hops?

In my readings most people say leave the citrus hops behind as it clashes with the maltiness. 

I’m a bit perplexed as to what to use. Hops is not a strong point of my brewing. 

Cheers

Captain

Hi Captain.

I have never made an American Brown Ale but was going to suggest a combo Centennial and Cascades.

I just checked my copy of Brewing Classic Styles and by coincidence Mike McDole's famous "Janet's Brown Ale" recipe calls them. He uses:

Northern Brewer @ 60 minutes

Northern Brewer @ 15 minutes

Cascades @ 10 minutes

Cascades  0 minutes

Centennial dry hop

Personally I am not a fan of Northern Brewer, but I don't know what else to suggest. Use your own judgement and taste. Good luck with the brew.

Cheers,

Christina

23 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Hi Captain.

I have never made an American Brown Ale but was going to suggest a combo Centennial and Cascades.

I just checked my copy of Brewing Classic Styles and by coincidence Mike McDole's famous "Janet's Brown Ale" recipe calls them. He uses:

Northern Brewer @ 60 minutes

Northern Brewer @ 15 minutes

Cascades @ 10 minutes

Cascades  0 minutes

Centennial dry hop

Personally I am not a fan of Northern Brewer, but I don't know what else to suggest. Use your own judgement and taste. Good luck with the brew.

Cheers,

Christina

Thanks Christina,

Im taking that Mike McDole is Tasty McDole and Janet is his wife? Either way that’s not here or there.

Ive never had northern brewer so I guess I’ll have to give that a crack anyways.

Thanks got your thoughts Christina. Much appreciated.

Captain

I don't like northern Brewer either but in a brown ale the malts might subdue it a bit. I used it in a pale ale to see what it tasted like. Still got it so I'll probably just use it for bittering big dark beers now. 

I also read the title of the thread wrong at first ?

Northern Brewer is the signature hop in Steam Ales; they are the reason I don't like Steam Ales. 

Here is a link to Denny Conn's award winning Brown Ale recipe. He takes a different approach:

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/NotiBrownAle

I love Willamette hops; I have used them together with Cascades many times. Delicious. 

Cheers,

Christina.

For what it's worth, I am drinking my own Janet's Brown now. I followed Tasty's recipe - including the Northern Brewer - and it's a beauty. It is definitely a hoppy brown ale and perfect for Autumn.

My palette is not educated enough to pick out the Northern Brewer so I can't help you out there but that recipe would be a pretty good starting point I'd reckon.

Good luck with the beer ?

13 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Northern Brewer is the signature hop in Steam Ales; they are the reason I don't like Steam Ales. 

Here is a link to Denny Conn's award winning Brown Ale recipe. He takes a different approach:

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/NotiBrownAle

I love Willamette hops; I have used them together with Cascades many times. Delicious. 

Cheers,

Christina.

That’s a really good recipe reference Christina, Thanks a heap for that

Captain

American C hops go well in a brown ale. Deep Creek’s Dusty Gringo Indian Brown Ale is a cracking beer and uses citrusy hops. From memory I think it is Cascade, Centennial and Amarillo (or Citra, my memory is not as good as it used to be).

Archived