Coopers Community

MasterChef homebrew challenges.

The Captain!!

As another series of MasterChef adorns our TV I was thinking to myself.  Geez it’d be good to watch a Master homebrewer challenge type thing.... it would be a long filming show ha ha but I reckon cool as.

With challengers like, Native Aussie fruit beer week. 

Contestants come up with stuff like Finger Lime Saison or a Native plum stout, quandong sparkling ale. 

Or 

Beer with an OG of 1.090 from a BIAB set up. 

What would your favourite challenges be?

Captain 

Nice one Rowbrew, Sour stout sounds amazing.

Hmm Barrel aged blending challenge.

The contestants get that sour stout and will have to brew a beer to blend with that sour stout. Good thing it’ll only take 12-18 months for the barrel aging process to take place, if it takes place at all. Ha ha loving the replies fellas. 

Kirk

I'd watch it too, it's a shame the networks are so obsessed with amateur cooking shows hosted by idiots like Paleo Pete. I hardly watch TV anymore because if it's not that rubbish it's home renovation competitions - which I might actually watch if the designs were any good and the people on them weren't a bunch of drama queens bitching at or about each other the whole time. One thing I can't stand is modern architecture/interior design, especially when they try to tack it onto an old building.

Anyway, I reckon a good challenge would be brewing a megaswill clone. I know they're essentially carbonated water these days, but actually brewing them isn't as easy as it sounds. How many guys get into home brewing to try to emulate their swill of choice and then it ends up turning out nothing like it?

Cheers

Kelsey

Yeah, I must say I don’t watch too much tv these days either because of the same reason. The drama is unnecessary. 

That is actually a good challenge, especially brew after brew keeping the same consistency. 

I think the only megaswill I’d like to clone would be Coopers pale TBH. Not that I really consider coopers megaswill, but they do make a hell of a lot of beer. 

Captain

There used to be an Aussie web based show (you tube or something like that) on wine. A couple of guys trying out different wines from around the place. It was a pretty light hearted take on wine tasting, something along those lines looking at micro/craft brewries from around Australia would be pretty cool as well. Swill TV??

• 3 weeks later...

I remember from a while ago there was a beer show on SBS I think.  A brewer would go around a visit home brewers, there would be a competition between two and the winner of that would have that beer brewed in her brewery.  I remember one where a bloke got his yeast from a piece of wood he found in the park.  He only used wild yeasts to ferment his beer.  He didn't win.

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Not surprised. I did a two stubbie batch of Sierra Nevada pale ale clone with wild yeast I caught in my laundry once. There's a reason it was once ? 

The wort was leftover from the batch, the main portion was fermented with US-05. 

You should have got the yeast from outside, maybe near a fruit tree.

The yeast from the laundry probably came from your undies ☠️

11 hours ago, Hermoor said:

I remember from a while ago there was a beer show on SBS I think.  A brewer would go around a visit home brewers, there would be a competition between two and the winner of that would have that beer brewed in her brewery.  I remember one where a bloke got his yeast from a piece of wood he found in the park.  He only used wild yeasts to ferment his beer.  He didn't win.

Yeah it was called beerland? Maybe. That wood dude was pretty funny.

I think unfortunately in the end it was only a commercial factor that got that Mexican beer to win due to the Latino population in that state sales in that community would sky rocket. Not surprising though.

I actually enjoyed that show.

3 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Yeah it was called beerland? Maybe. That wood dude was pretty funny.

I think unfortunately in the end it was only a commercial factor that got that Mexican beer to win due to the Latino population in that state sales in that community would sky rocket. Not surprising though.

I actually enjoyed that show.

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/1055511619807/beerland-new-york

you're right Captain, Beerland on SBS.  It's on demand so I think I'll watch it again

I'd like to see them try to recreate historical brews, like Egyptian beer, Viking beer, or English beer before they used hops, or making brown malt from scratch, the way it used to be made, or some of the old Shut up about Barclay Perkins recipes, or an original IPA recipe. 

I am sure modern brews taste much better, but it is interesting to see where we came from.

Cheers,

Christina.

Archived