Coopers Community

English Bitter - What beer enhancer to use

There you go. BE3 = 50% malt, 30% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin. 

I have to admit, I don't understand all the secrecy behind why it can't just be noted on the web product listing & displayed on the packaging. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

On 5/12/2018 at 11:52 AM, MikeBou said:

Hi all,

I am also only making a 20 litre brew because I am kegging into 18 litre kegs.

Any advice will be gratefully received. ?

Thanks in advanced. 

Hi there Mike. Not sure how you are going to fit 20L in an 18L keg, but I don't keg. LOL!

Be aware that the English Bitter kit is already quite bitter (more bitter than the style guidelines say it should be) and if you mix it to 18L or 20L the bitterness will be even higher.  The Real Ale kit has lower bitterness, but even it is above style guidelines. In addition, the lower the ABV, the less malt there is to soften / balance that bitterness....I have been to England and am a big fan of English Bitters; I find these two kits produce beer that is more bitter than what you would get in a pub, in England.  When I want a Bitter, I prefer using one of the lighter coloured kits and adding some crystal malts to it, and my own finishing hops.

Highly bitter kits seem to be a thing with Coopers, as their stouts and the Dark Ale kit are also quite bitter.  Maybe it is to suit Australian tastes? 

Cheers,

Christina.

Same way I fit 21 litres into a 19L keg Christina. The extra 2 litres is just to avoid getting fermenter trub into the keg, and also serves to enable the drawing off of a couple of glasses prior to filling the keg to clear the tap and surrounds of the majority of the gunk that builds up there ?

21 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Hi there Mike. Not sure how you are going to fit 20L in an 18L keg, but I don't keg. LOL!

Be aware that the English Bitter kit is already quite bitter (more bitter than the style guidelines say it should be) and if you mix it to 18L or 20L the bitterness will be even higher.  The Real Ale kit has lower bitterness, but even it is above style guidelines. In addition, the lower the ABV, the less malt there is to soften / balance that bitterness....I have been to England and am a big fan of English Bitters; I find these two kits produce beer that is more bitter than what you would get in a pub, in England.  When I want a Bitter, I prefer using one of the lighter coloured kits and adding some crystal malts to it, and my own finishing hops.

Highly bitter kits seem to be a thing with Coopers, as their stouts and the Dark Ale kit are also quite bitter.  Maybe it is to suit Australian tastes? 

Cheers,

Christina.

Hey Christina,

Haha, yeah, I leave a litre or two with the sediment at the bottom and a bit for the grav testing. That way I get `18 litres without much sediment off the bottom.

I imagined the bitterness would be up a bit. But it's nice. I like a clean bitter beer, esp. in summer time. When it's colder I like a smoother beer and close to room temperature.

Thanks for your tips on your preferences. When I get a bit more adventurous and can afford some extra gear I might try doing my own hops and/or grain. Not there yet. Still getting my hand back into normal kit brewing.

Have a good one. 

Mike B

Archived