Coopers Community

BIAB Pilsner

I want to do a Pilsner for my second BIAB brew.  Hot cubing as well.

Looking at 

3.7kg weyermann pilsner

0.2kg carapils

40g Saaz FWH

40g Saaz 20min

20g Saaz 10 min

W-34/70 Yeast

Some help regarding mash temps and times as well as boil times.  Also is there a certain Pilsner grain I should be using ?

Sam

Hi Sam. 

My last pilsner was mashed at 64 degrees for 60 minutes followed by a mash out at 75 degrees for 10 minutes. 

A lower mash temp will result in a more fermentable wort which gives you a lower final gravity and that dry, crisp finish that a pilsner should have. 

As for boiling times most will boil for 90 minutes to drive off DMS. Some studies have been done saying that only a 60 minute boil is needed but I always go for 90 just to be sure. 

What is your batch size and predicted OG?

You may require 2 packets of 34/70

Thanks for the information. 

Shooting for 22lt into the cube with a OG 1041 and a FG of 1007 according to Brewers Friend.

IBU at 40,  Is 40 too high for the IBU of a Pilsner ?

Sam

A proper Czech pilsner is actually not that dry; the FG range is between 1.011 and 1.015 I believe. I've brewed a heap of them, personally I'd mash it around 66-67 degrees if you're going for a single infusion mash. I usually use a Hochkurz mash where it starts at 63C for 40 minutes, ramped to 72C for 20-25 minutes followed by the mash out at 78C (75C is too low). The IBU sounds right for the style, though with the lower OG you could probably drop it a bit. I usually brew mine to the high 1.040s OG with around 43-45 IBUs. 90 minute boil is often advised and what I use. Very soft water produces the best outcome as well.

For my second BIAB I think I will just stick with a 60min single infusion mash for simplicity with a mash out.  I dare say I will have to alter my hop additions a little as I will be hot cubing.  

I am a little confused with all of the different Pilsner malt available.  ie Bohemian , floor malted so on.  Is there one type that I should be using as my first go.

Sam

It's only the late hop additions that really get affected by no-chilling in cubes, but for this beer style I don't even worry about it that much. I'd just leave them as they are. If you decide to reduce the bitterness a bit then you'd probably be best reducing the 20 minute addition a little bit.

As for the malt, it probably doesn't really matter a whole heap. I use Bohemian pilsner malt but the 'normal' Weyermann pilsner malt will do fine as well.

Archived