Coopers Community

2nd krausen

Ulyssian27

I'm currently brewing a European Lager. After 24 hours I had a nice krausen that was gone after around 48 hours. Then for about 3 days there was a lot of small bubbles rising to the surface, really active. Then on the 6th day I noticed a second krausen had formed that lasted around 24 hours. I haven't had this happen before and I'm wondering if this is something anyone here can comment on?

I used,

I can coopers European Lager 

500g Ldm

1kg Dextrose 

7g supplied Lager yeast 

11.5g 34/70 Lager yeast.

OG: 1042 (Hydrometer may be a little out)

I know I might be a bit heavy on the Dex, but I was using up what I had on hand.

Cheers, Dave.

I am not remotely expert in brewing, just a beginner, and only guessing based on unrelated undergraduate microbiology.  Many microorganism including, I would guess, yeast, don't make all the enzymes required to use all potential food sources all the times. Instead they make small quantities of transporter proteins and sensing proteins for potential food sources. So, fermentation and cell growth start off using the best, easiest to use energy sources eg. glucose. A burst of growth would occur which you observe as the krausen. Then, when the first food source is exhausted, it takes a little while for alternative food molecules to be transported into the cell, detected, and for the cells to decide what is sufficiently abundant as an alternative food source to be worth getting kitted up to use it.  Sending the signals to make extra transporter proteins and enzymes takes a while. Once it is possible to get cranking on a new food source, cell growth can resume. Perhaps that is the second observed krausen. I am not expert on what sugars the lager yeast uses by default and which it can use only after inducing the necessary enzymes and transporters etc. but perhaps they used sugars from the can first and the extra dextrose later?

Mmmmm,

Well the only metaphor i can begin to explain your brews behavior is, remember a few weekends ago when parra defeated your belovered manly?

...well like your lager, parra were full of surprises,  manly started out valiantly but weren't exactly first to score,  then parra gave manly a consultation try just when the match seemed over (again just like your brew!) And of course by full time....er but iam rambling mate,

If Trent Barret was coaching your brew, he would say  "it will bounce back in a fortnight" either that or cheeck you trusty hydrometer. 

Cheers matey-

21 hours ago, blurred said:

Mmmmm,

Well the only metaphor i can begin to explain your brews behavior is, remember a few weekends ago when parra defeated your belovered manly?

...well like your lager, parra were full of surprises,  manly started out valiantly but weren't exactly first to score,  then parra gave manly a consultation try just when the match seemed over (again just like your brew!) And of course by full time....er but iam rambling mate,

If Trent Barret was coaching your brew, he would say  "it will bounce back in a fortnight" either that or cheeck you trusty hydrometer. 

Cheers matey-

If Geoff Toovey was coaching my brew, he would say "there has to be an investigation into this. Someone has to be held accountable".

Thanks for reminding me of the drubbing you guys gave us. I still have nightmares about it.

The brews been down for 12 days now and is looking good. Haven't taken a hydrometer reading as yet but will do so over the next day or so.

Cheers, Mate.

Geoff Toovey!  Haha love it!!   Seriously i miss toov's coaching NRL, (what an awesome player he was too back in the day).

If tooves made homebrew though,  i don't reakon  he'd waste his time with beer, he'd brew tequila or something fiery....he'd grow the cactus on the hill at brookevale oval first i reakon, and then...brew shit strong tequila,  no worm in the bottom of each bottle,  just an old ref's whistle instead.

As for the drubbing well, what comes around goes around, iam certain eels and manly aren't exactly finals material this year at least, l honestly hope iam wrong though of course mate-

The yeast will eat the simplest sugar first, so if anything it would have chomped through the dextrose then moved onto the maltose in the kit and added DME. Maybe that's what it was I don't know... I've never had it happen in 6 and a half years of brewing. Once the krausen forms, it just sticks around until it either drops on its own or I force it to drop by cold crashing the beer.

Archived