Coopers Community

Dry hopping lusty style,,,

Mikes15

In my quest for sediment reduction Ive given Lusty's dry hopping method a crack & in terms of ease of use its magic!!

Think I got the MO correct,,

After sterilizing / sanitizing a sheet of Chux cloth & 2 cable ties in some just boiled water for 5mins I laid it out on a sheet of glad wrap & set the hops (60g) along the length,

31493877_10157380580448574_7203677895137427456_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=f1ca72276ddefb00eec5696d01ee921e&oe=5B527307

Rolled it up nice an loose & zipped the ends up,

31743496_10157380580468574_4800524907114921984_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=2a00a6b1e6e3d638b76c8e418b134c41&oe=5B63D1BA

Placed it in into the FV, few days later found it still floating still nice an loose,

31693059_10157380580403574_6370100214149152768_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=ea3fbee4c734199253e2bc2b624c6bbf&oe=5B6593E3

Put some disposable gloves on, sanitized with ethanol, lifted it out, wrung it & dipped & wrung it 2 more times, then disposed of it, to easy cool

The aroma coming out of the sock after was still strong so can only imagine how much flavour has been squeezed out into the beer.

Be very interested in how much reduction in carry over I get as Ive been commando hopping for a while now.

Hey Mikes15. I recently squeezed the hop bag "Lusty-style" for the first time on the wekeend. This was a small dry hop of 45g Citra + whatever Amarillo I had left in a bag (8g or so).

like you i used a food handling glove, but I used starsan to sanitise the outside. I managed to squeeze a lot of hoppy goodness & beer out of the bag! brew is currently cold crashing so I will bottle on Sunday night and look forward to trying a bottle a couple of weeks after bottling. I suspect this will become a regular part of my dry hopping schedule.

Jools

Didn't know whether to use starsan, thought possibly the acid might effect the beer, ethanol evaporates off in seconds so shouldn't be any transfer, that's the method we use for handling our milk & powder QC samples at work, its called an "Aseptic regime".

Don't think Ill be bothering with my hop tube ever again!

Ryano;

Ive got one, used it for a 120g hop, was disappointing to find the hop stayed at the base & didn't really infuse to the point that when I removed it they where almost dry in the middle even though the tube was only 1/4 - 1/5 full. Think part of the problem is its so long it has to stand end on in the FV.

At least you've found a local seller who's not ripping us off for 250% of the Chinese web site prices.

You can buy a lot of Chux & cable ties for $19 & never have to worry about cleaning & sterilizing after each use, not easy to boil a 300mm tube!

Is boiling cable ties wise?

I have a couple of those cannisters and the first time I used them I was a bit disappointed, however I've since had good results as well by making sure it goes in horizontally with hops evenly spread along it.

Hi guys.

I can't take any credit for the Chux cloth method as it is the method of choice listed in the Coopers DIY recipes, & I simply adopted it. It's likely you have PB2 to thank for that. wink

The cloths themselves are a sanitary item if pulled & used straight from the wrapper. I don't sanitise them further. I also just twist the ends & tie into a knot to form a little baggy with the hops contained in the middle allowing plenty of room for expansion.

I will take some credit for advising squeezing the beer absorbed by the hops in this method back into the FV as this liquid is highly aromatic/flavourful, & can only benefit the aromatics of the final beer by being in it rather than remaining in the physical hop matter left behind.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I didn't boil anything, just put it all in a bowl of just boiled water for 5mins, laws of pasteurization don't require actual boiling provided there is enough temp applied for enough time, to sterilize with water you need to reach 140'c, not possible without allowing pressure to build up to 32psi.

My 30cm tube is to long to lay down in my FV, 45' is its max,the one linked is 29cm.

I'd say you could fit 120+g easy into each sheet of Chux & plenty of room for 2-3 roles in the FV an it allows extracting that lovely hop juice cool

I horsed in my last lot commando style. got a few floaties in about 3 bottles.

my previous dry hop was in a sock that just floated which i gave a good squeeze but i have found the commando style giving me better results

Archived