Coopers Community

Pirate Life IPA recipe help (kits and bits)

Yep as Ben says, the pale malt will give you some nice freshness and malt character.

I'm going on my memory of tasting a PL IPA and brewing the Coopers IPA kit a while ago when I say that if you add the extra crystal and Caramunich I don't think the malt base will end up tasting like the PL IPA. It won't be bad, just a bit richer and won't quite let the hops shine as much. 

Good luck with the beer! 

John

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cheers mate, i'll let you know how she goes. thing is im drinking an ipa at the moment now . made from 250 gms crystal 40 steeped. 1 kg dme, 500 gms dex, 100 gms centennial, 100 gms citra. ipa tin and us05 and its a beauty. hoppy, fresh, rigtt amount of bitterness and  carbonated nicely.

if this one goes tits up, i'll revert to the above and at a fraction of the cost of what i just threw down now 

I mentioned earlier in this thread that my LHBS had a clone recipe for PL IPA using extract. I found the print off of the recipe the staff member gave me. Now I think about it, I recall something being said about using this as a guide for hop schedule but they did have a method for substituting in extract, as this print out appears to be more of a AG recipe. Just posting for you guys in case someone finds it useful.

PL IPA recipe.pdf

Thanks for seeking this recipe out Karlos, and especially for scanning it and posting it onto this forum!

Personally, I would be using a lot more hops, at least double to get this anywhere near the flavour and aroma of the PL IPA.  Lots and lots more required at flameout and definitely dry hops.

I suppose my idea to make this was to save a bit of money rather than forking out $100 for a carton. But when you look at the ingredients and the amount required, by the time you buy a the malt and hops etc it's gonna be an expensive exercise. Still should yield a decent beer and make twice the volume of a carton (or thereabouts).

• 3 weeks later...

The time & money you spend on producing home brewed beer is well worth it. In this case, the beer you are attempting to replicate is no mere mortal beer. At Dan Murphy's it currently lists for $96 a carton equating to approx. 8.5 litres worth of hoppy goodness. That's around $11.30 per litre.

You've made approx. 23 litres for $85. That equates to around $3.70 per litre.

That's outstanding value I reckon! ?

Enjoy the fruits of your labour. ?

Lusty.

Lusty is right here. It is expensive for a single batch, especially considering you could brew an all grain version for probably $30, and $27 for 180g of hops is pretty expensive, but when compared to the price of a carton at the bottlo it's still a hell of a lot cheaper. 

Yeah was expensive to be sure. But I don’t mind dishing out for what hopefully will be a nice drop. I know some people brew to save money and each to their own but as stated above even if your outlay is a tad on the expensive side , it doesn’t even come close to what the bottle-o’s will charge. Having forked over $95 at Xmas for a carton of this stuff , I would know. 

I don't brew necessarily to save money although it does have that effect since I'm not buying beer every week anymore, and ingredients wise all grain is cheaper than kits or extract. 

The main reason though, it's fun and the end product is most of the time very enjoyable.

Cheers

Kelsey

6 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I don't brew necessarily to save money although it does have that effect since I'm not buying beer every week anymore, and ingredients wise all grain is cheaper than kits or extract. 

The main reason though, it's fun and the end product is most of the time very enjoyable.

Cheers

Kelsey

This is the reason I brew!!

20 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

I bottled it on Thursday so a couple more weeks left. Smelt fantastic and had a little taste too. The trio of hops definitely does wonders for it. I’ll let you know in a fortnight. Looking forward to cracking it 

Look forward to the results. If it's good I'll have to give it a crack now that I rkn I've solved a few dramas with my last couple of dud batches.

• 2 weeks later...

This has turned out to be a cracker. If you like hops and bitterness then this is right up your street.  Even with my grain bill mistake it hasn’t done anything bad.  Obviously it isn’t a replica of the PL IPA as it’s extract but it’s damn tasty and citrusy and bitter.  

So you used 80’gms centennial, 50’gms each of motueka and simcoe, so you DH the remaining 20g centennial & 50’gms each of motueka and simcoe (as you said you had 100g each)?

The Pro mash PDF uses just 45g simco & 40g centennial,

The Pirate's wife uses 35g Columbus, 60g centennial, 60g mosaic, 60g simco,

There some very differing hop bills for 3 different brews trying be beer which was posted at the start as using Centennial, Riwaka, Simcoe.

Any one care to enlighten me on that?

Also, when using so much of your own grain & hops why does it need the Coopers kit, would it not be just a step or 2 away from being able to be done as a full extract? (Sorry Coopers!!)

The Coopers kit would largely be there for the bitterness so you don't have to add it yourself. 

Brewing a beer at home is also different to the brewery itself brewing it, you do see clone recipes that differ from the original beer's recipe as in a home situation it gets as close as possible. Generally the hops themselves don't change drastically but the amounts and timings can. 

13 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

This has turned out to be a cracker. If you like hops and bitterness then this is right up your street.  Even with my grain bill mistake it hasn’t done anything bad.  Obviously it isn’t a replica of the PL IPA as it’s extract but it’s damn tasty and citrusy and bitter.  

Congrats on the beer Paddy, I'm glad it has turned out well. ☺️

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived