Coopers Community

Golden Ale Extract recipe - help please

I'm looking at doing some extract recipes after doing a dozen or so kits and bits. Have just done a cascarillo amber ale from the coopers website, it's not bottled yet but sample did not seem v bitter at all.

Next up I'm planning a Dr Smurto inspired, King Ruddager inspired (thanks for the vids!) extract golden ale. I'm only able to do a 4L boil and a bit worried about getting the bitterness right. I plugged my ingredients into IanH's spreadsheet (thanks also to Ian for that!) to get a hop schedule, my question is about the hop concentration factor which I've just stumbled upon. With it being a small boil seems like I need to up the hops pretty significantly to get the same predicted IBU. Should I just increase the 60min addition, or the 15 min addition too? Or add a 30 min addition? SHould I aim for somewhere in the middle of the predicted IBU as a bit of a compromise? Was planning on using magnum for bittering then just amarillo, also have some cascade and galaxy in the freezer I could add. Think I'll get a crown urn in near future so can do larger boils if I continue with extract rather than kits but for now 4L is about my limit.

Here's my original recipe, any advice gratefully received!

Coopers Light LME 1.5kg

Coopers Wheat LME 1.5kg

Light crystal 60 250g

Magnum 16g 12.2%AA @60min, Amarillo 15g 8.4%AA @15min, amarillo 15g 8.4%AA @5min

Amarillo 20g dry hop

Yeast US05

IBU 30.9 (IBU with hop concentration factor 18)

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil. If you can only do a 4L boil, probably best to use a pre-hopped kit for the bittering addition, such at the Mexican Cervesa or APA kit. The Mexican Cervesa kit has lower IBUs and leaves you more wiggle room for additional IBUs from late hop additions, that is if you want to keep your IBUs around 30.

I am in the same boat as you and am limited to small boils, so that is why I use pre-hopped kits for bittering. I used to use the Lager and APA kits as bases, but I am finding the Lager kit too bitter to be a good base, and even the APA kit is starting to seem too bitter as a base. I am going to try the Mexican Cervesa kit next time.

I'd also move your 15 minute addition of Amarillo to 10 minutes; you will get more flavour and aroma out of them that way, and less bitterness.

Cheers,

Christina.

hey gringo

good luck.

About to put down a similar recipe but using a pre hopped can

1 can golden crown lager (no idea what else to do with it)

1 can wheat extract

20g Amarillo @10 20g Amarillo @0

another 25g Amarillo Dry hop (not sure about this)

us-05

20ltrs

only part I'm not sure on is the crown lager

Cheers Gully

hey gringo

good luck.

About to put down a similar recipe but using a pre hopped can

1 can golden crown lager (no idea what else to do with it)

1 can wheat extract

300g of some grain 'caramalt' maybe

20g Amarillo @10 20g Amarillo @0

another 25g Amarillo Dry hop (not sure about this)

us-05

20ltrs

only part I'm not sure on is the crown lager

Cheers Gully

Yeah reckon you're right Christina, reliable bitterness and 50mins less boiling does sound like the way to go :). I've mostly used APA kit, will check out the lager kit as well.

When doing similar recipes before I've been mostly using ldme, guess I'll try a pretty similar recipe to yours then gully with the wheat lme instead to see how that goes.

Cheers

Neil

hey gringo

let us know how you go. my brew has been put down and just writing up my notes now... I may of forgotten to take gravity readings but about to get them now so I have em for the future Gully to understand what to expect.

drinking John Boston golden ale to see what to expect

cheers

Gully

• 2 weeks later...

Well took a while to get time to do this. Wound up doing

1.7kg aus pa

1.5kg wheat lme 

220g light crystal

25g Amarillo@10mins, 25g amarillo@5min

rehydrated US05 pitch at 19, dropping it to 18  

planning on dry hop with cascade cos ran out of Amarillo. 

Hows yours going gully?

7 hours ago, Hey.gringo said:

Well took a while to get time to do this. Wound up doing

1.7kg aus pa

1.5kg wheat lme 

220g light crystal

25g Amarillo@10mins, 25g amarillo@5min

rehydrated US05 pitch at 19, dropping it to 18  

planning on dry hop with cascade cos ran out of Amarillo. 

Hows yours going gully?

hey gringo 

I have mine bottled and conditioning atm. Will sink a few late next week to see how it goes.

Tried a sample at bottling, very nice, let's see how it turns out.

had temps set at 18deg and finally nailed the temps all the way through.

day 6 upped the temp to 20deg and dry hopped.

day 9 fg of approx 1012 was reached same as day 7.

let it go for another day then gave it a cold crash for 2 days

bottled with dex... hoping this will be my standard brew to learn what different hops do at different points. 

anyway I will keep you updated when I start drinking the beer

cheers 

Gully 

If on the second tasting it is still to bitter, I will pull the old 'green ginger wine' addition my dad taught me back when I was forcing myself to enjoy beer.

used to take the bitterness out of my cheap beer, this was a time before I had developed tastebuds everything needed to be sweet back then to be enjoyed

cheers

Gully

Well that sucks! I'm only 6 days into fermentation but sample tasted nice when I did my dry hop and checked gravity.

I reckon you're better off being too bitter than not enough though. I had my first cascarillo ale last night and don't even know if it would register on IBU scale. Way too sweet and don't know if theres much I can do about it, add some tonic water?! Made it through my longneck but getting through the other 27 is going to be a struggle! Got my hopes pinned on this current brew, fingers crossed!

• 3 weeks later...

So this is the result of my work. after the first 'it's to bitter' giry scream. This has seriously come up to be my best brew to date and the one I'll work to reproduce. Great flavour, maybe a little 2 dimensional given only using Amarillo hops, but now has led me to ordering more hippy flavoured beers that I hostestly would of never looked at previously.

Let me know how yours is holding up?

15278472092436321373355450735683.jpg

15278472521473256144764458961341.jpg

Looking good! Glad it's worked out well! I'm a couple of weeks behind you and only bottled about a week ago, with current temps will take a little while to carbonate I guess, will crack 1 in another week or so for a taste of things to come, fingers crossed!

I ended up putting half a dozen in a small space and wrapping them up to keep at 20°, cause I wanted to see if i had made something great.

makes me think I need a conditioning fridge set at 20°

oh the rabbit hole I could run down is very dangerous

I really should have kept them in my fermentation fridge cos it's been empty this week. Should be brewing an IPA in next few days so will need it again for that, will just need to be patient with the bottles!

IPA very nice yet to do a brew of that standard. I cannot afford the hop squedual of a IPA just of yet

I'm going to do another fake-Oktoberfest again trying to recreate a very nice brew from the coopers forum. then another golden ale x2 to get a forward brew load so I don't run out of beer

Well wasn't sure if it'd be carbonated yet cos it's not been kept v warm...and it's really still pretty much flat. 

Other than that, doesn't taste too bad, see see it being quite nice in another few weeks once it's matured a bit and has a little fizz. Probably a slightly lighter colour than yours, bit surprised with that cos you used the lager can as a base right? Will post a photo once i open the next one to compare ?

I steeped some grains into mine aswell which has made the brew darker then it probably should be. 

Disapointenly I have almost finished all mine off really enjoyed them, will be making it again once the weather warms up... need a lager recipe of similar calibre 

Archived