Coopers Community

Ten Days on the Bintang

Scottie

Just had 10 days in Bali where the staple drink was Bintang Pilsner, a beer that was better than the Heineken or San Miguel which were the other main options.

They do have some local Craft offerings from Stark and Diablo, Dark Wheat, Indonesian Pale Ale (IPA) and Golden Ale and I had a quite a few of these as well. However they were only available as single offerings where I was staying and 3.5 times the price of Bintang. Also I hate to say it but in the heat an humidity of Bali a ice cold Bintang in the pool went down better than the hoppy caramelly IPA.

Landed in Sydney yesterday and had a Virgin connection at 2 pm. The Coopers Ale House was a welcome sight after an overnight flight and despite it being only 09:30 Bali time I managed to force down a few pints of Coopers Session Ales at this top rated airport bar.

This is a great beer and I will soon be building a clone.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hi Scottie

Been in northern Thailand for 2 months. With you on the beers being built for the climate. Had Chang and singha in Sydney and thought it's just like water. Here it's very refreshing. Had a duvel which is one of my all time favourites and didnt enjoy it at all compared to Sydney. I Hope I can find beerlao dark in Sydney. It's the pick of the local/region by far. Inspired me to make a light dark lager when I get home.

2 days in to a 3 week trip in Thailand visiting the in laws.

Chang and Leo (along with Singha), are just like fizzy yellow sweet water to me now after 3 years of brewing hoppy ales and ESBs, back in Oz.

There are some good 'local' craft beers on offer though: Chalawan pale ale and Lamzing IPA .

Both are actually bloody nice but 3-4 times the price of the Macros.

It is actually illegal to open a craft brewery in Thailand ( unless you are producing 5000000 litres a year and have a couple of million in the bank) , so local Brewers have to set up shop overseas and import their 'local' craft beer!!

Think Chalawan is made in Oz and Lamzing is made in South Korea.

Homebrewing is illegal here but there is a movement to change the laws here to reflect modern times.

Dont know why the Macros just let the craft brewers do their thing and buy them out if they are successful like in Oz and other Western countries, then everyone's a winner?

Makes me miss my 'craft brewery' in the spare bedroom and feel a comradery toward the local Thai beer enthusiasts facing a mountain of red tape and what not to be able to brew a decent ale!

Hopefully they can change the tide.

Australia : Bloody Lucky country and all that!

Choke Dee

(Good luck)

James

I am not sure of the situation in Thailand. However in Bali the minimum wage is $200 a month. Our guide from Buffalo tours told us that what he was on. We were discussing coffee and the fact that I tried Kuwak coffee and asked him if he liked it. He said he did but couldn't afford it, normal Bali Coffee is 30 cents a cup, Kuwak costs $5 a cup. He said that doesn't leave much to liveon if he spends $5 a cup on coffee.

I guess it is the same with Craft beer, at the Bali Deli I bought a carton of Bintang (24 v 330ml) for IDR 408,000 (17,000 each). The craft beers were around IDR 40,000 each. I guess only tourists drink the Bali Craft beers.

Australia - absolutely the lucky country.

Cheers& Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

• 3 weeks later...

10 days on the Bintang you poor bastard was my first thought.  Still at Bali prices I'd be up for that.

When I was in Thailand a couple years back I didn't see Beerlao Dark or any of those others... wish I had!  Got used to the Singha tinnies pretty quick though, I thought they were the pick of the cheapo 7/11 beers.  At those prices I was in pisswater heaven ?  

I'm not sure I'd call Oz the lucky country, in terms of beer anyway.  That's NZ or the USA.  Pulling the campervan into a drive-through drug store near Death Valley and walking out with a carton of Sierra Nevada for $15, it was traumatic walking into the local BWS on my return.  That's a lot of my motivation for homebrew at the moment, I can't afford to drink the kind of beer I like in Australia, it's just unjustifiably expensive.  Got bills to pay!

• 4 months later...

Archived