Coopers Community

Mid Strength Dark Ale

I was looking at doing a mid strength 3.5 Dark Ale using either a can of Stout, Dark Ale or Ruby Porter with 500 Malt (Dark or Light??) and adding 20-30 grams of Fuggles and Goldings. Any thoughts? Any other suggestions? Not really keen on the toffee taste I get from the Rogers and looking for something else.

G'day Cam,

I do a dark ale which is pretty good, I simply use a can of Coopers dark ale, 500gms dark dry malt and the kit yeast to 23l at 21 degrees...tastes pretty good to me and it is about mid strength.

I have thought about adding a bit of cocoa or something to make it a little more chocolate but so far haven't got that adventurous...

Hey guys,

I brewed a mid strenght dark ale kit years ago and personally found it to be biter for my tastes.

But if i was to try again I'd probably go..

1.5kg'sThomas Cooper's dark malt extract

200g's of crystal

500g's of light dried malt extract

25gs of Fuggles @ 20

25gs of cascade or goldings @10

Fermetus Us04

@ 20°c

* prime bottles withe lme. Great for light/mid strength beers

The tc dark malt extract is the same as the coopers dark ale in regards to malts though it just isn't prehoped.

(A great base buy the way for a dark ale or porter)

Good luck bro-

The tc dark malt extract is the same as the coopers dark ale in regards to malts though it just isn't prehoped.

(A great base buy the way for a dark ale or porter)

The colour spec for TC Dark Malt Extract is 1650 EBC' date=' which equates to a colour of around 108 EBC in a 23 litre brew, while Dark Ale is 650 = 48 EBC when made to 23 litres.

So, not the same as far as colour goes but both are a good base for dark beer. tongue

The yeast with the brew can will be suffice. wink

(Sorry mate's I really, really could have sworn i read that the tc dark malt extract and the dark ale were basically the same only the dark ale was hopped, clearly of course they aren't though )

Ok! A midstrenght dark ale mmm.. ok...can i try having another crack if "i" was brewing it??

1.7kgs of Cooper's pale ale.

.750g's of Tc dark malt extract !!!

10g of Fuggles hops @ 10

10g of cascade hops @ 5

5g's @ 0 of cascade

Kit yeast or English ale yeast of your choice ...(Fermetus Us04 )

@ 20 °c

24 litres

Prime bottles with light dried malt extract.

Learn something new everyday....

The thomas coopers dark malt extract and the "is" series irish stout are the same EBC at 1650 (that's what i confused it with although, they have similar corresponding EBC they both i imagine constitute a slightly diffferent grain makeup)

Tc amber malt extract + mr beer bewitched are the same as is tc pale malt extract + mex cervaza again the simlar but different...ehh! to early for a beer?

(Sorry mate's I really, really could have sworn i read that the tc dark malt extract and the dark ale were basically the same only the dark ale was hopped, clearly of course they aren't though )

Ok! A midstrenght dark ale mmm.. ok...can i try having another crack if "i" was brewing it??

1.7kgs of Cooper's pale ale.

.750g's of Tc dark malt extract !!!

10g of Fuggles hops @ 10

10g of cascade hops @ 5

5g's @ 0 of cascade

Kit yeast or English ale yeast of your choice ...(Fermetus Us04 )

@ 20 °c

24 litres

Prime bottles with light dried malt extract.

I love the sound of this!!! the priming of the bottles with light malt a nice touch - !Will the carbonation be the same ?? Should improve the mouth feel??

I love the sound of this!!! the priming of the bottles with light malt a nice touch - !Will the carbonation be the same ?? Should improve the mouth feel??

What rate do you use to prime? I tsp/340ml bottle?

Evening gents,

I make lots of light and mid strength beers and priming with malt makes a big difference , definitely adding more body and mouth feel. Its is a little more expensive but brewing low abv beers really shows up any imperfections.

As for priming with malt the rule is add 20/25% more than you would using dextrose / sugar. I could be corrected but have never had any problems, also mate i do use pet plastic bottles so this is more forgiving than glass.

I guess stat with 20% exta and move to 25% if your finding it a little under carbonated.

Also this might be worth a mention, the fine spray malt coopers sells is with out a doubt better and very easier to prime with. The lme my Lhbs sells is harder to work with much more coarser, but this can and will vary from store to store prehaps.

The secondary fermentation is over looked by some brewers i reakon, ive primed bottles with honey,light malt/dark malt and i have added spices like cinnamon as well and even cammando hopped thowing hops into the bottle, i try and avoid drinking the sediment in those brews, sometimes i get lazy and forget though!

• 3 weeks later...

Morning morning,  

I know this is an older thread but last night i sampled some preliminary samples of a straight Thomas Coopers dark malt extract, I used:

×2 1.5 thomas coopers dark malt extract 

25g of Fuggles @ 25mins

25g of Cascade @25mins

Fermetus Us04. 

ABV 4.6%

I found this almost indistinguishable to a Coopers irish stout kit, prehaps the only varying difference was the omission of any subtle vanilla notes. And possessed a more pronounced choclate flavour.

Iam aware this maybe slightly off topic, but iam using my stout extract as a bruiser/ black + tan, in my light and mid strength ale brews. 

Archived