Coopers Community

Pouring Foam

Youngie

Hi everyone.

I recently got the old house fridge for my new keg fridge and it’s nice and shiny so I decided to get some quality parts to go with it which include stainless steel disconnects and Intertap flow control taps.

I set up the new system and it just pours foam.

Here’s my setup.

2 19L kegs that hook up to 2 Intertap flow control taps. I have a double regulator so I can serve the 2 kegs at different pressure if needed. My co2 cylinder is always in my fridge and the fridge temperature sits at approximately 4 degrees. I have 5mm beer lines and they are about 3m long.

So what am I doing wrong. I’m sure I have no leaks anywhere. I thought the Intertap taps were meant to make this easier.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Youngie

What pressure are you pouring at?

I have also read that there can be some rough bits inside those taps from machining that can cause foaming. There's a thread on AHB that contains a fair bit of information on how to sort out foaming issues with Intertaps.

The only other thing that would cause foaming like that other than rough spots anywhere from the tap to the keg post itself, would be over carbonated kegs.

That shouldn't be enough to cause overcarbonation, especially at 4 degrees, unless you quick carbed them and the pressure inside the keg is greater than the serving pressure. I run at about the same pressure at 0 degrees which would absorb more of the gas, and they're never overcarbonated.

It could be rough spots somewhere, these could be inside the tap, the shanks, the beer lines themselves, the disconnects or the keg posts. Maybe the diptube too but unlikely. I'd say inside the tap or shanks is the most likely spot for roughness.

Warm beer in the lines and/or warm taps will cause foaming as well but this is only temporary until the cold beer comes through and chills everything down. I usually get a bit of foam at the start of the pour, luckily most times it's just enough to provide the beer with a head. biggrin

Well that points to the taps being the culprit. I suspect it must have been a reasonably common occurrence given the thread I mentioned earlier. Essentially you have to dismantle the tap and smooth out the roughness, or remove something in it... whatever the solution is is in that thread.

Well that points to the taps being the culprit. I suspect it must have been a reasonably common occurrence given the thread I mentioned earlier. Essentially you have to dismantle the tap and smooth out the roughness' date=' or remove something in it... whatever the solution is is in that thread. [/quote']

I think I will try and return them. When I pay good money for a product it should, and was meant to work out of the box.

Thanks for your help Kelsey

Fair enough mate. And yes they should work properly. The Perlick FC taps I've got on my fridge have been excellent though. Maybe look into those when or if you get the cash available. When I got them they were about $90 each but they may have gone up a bit since then.

I don’t mind paying the $$$$$ If things work good and last a long time!!

Thanks for your help Kelsey!!

Youngie

I agree there mate. I'm not even sure if Intertaps were around when I bought mine so if I wanted flow control I had little other choice. They may have just been hitting the market, it was nearly 3 years ago. I've had the Perlicks on the fridge since Aug 2015 and they haven't missed a beat; have dismantled them once for a clean/soak and they were already clean from running perc solution through them while in place lol. Since I'd dismantled them I soaked them anyway but yes in my experience a very well made product.

I got it pouring a bit better on my days off but the first few seconds was all foam and it had an air sound. Meanwhile the place I got them from pretty much no refund when I called and told them about my problem.

Youngie

Archived