Coopers Community

experiment with enhancer 3

I am looking to do my second brew with the lager can and enhancer 3 rather than enhancer 1 to see what the taste difference is. I searched the forum but couldn't find any advice in regards to maybe needing some extra sugar/dextrose to make sure fermentation occurs. Was looking to use the same yeast that came with the lager can to try and have only one variable - the enhancer.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

G'day Hoppo and welcome to the forum!

I say go for it! The difference between BE1 and BE3 is the addition of Light Dry Malt. I think the percentages are BE1 = 50% Dextrose 50%, Maltodextrin and BE3 = 50% LDM, 25% Dextrose, 25% Maltodextrin. There will be plenty of fermentables with that combo. The kit yeast should be enough to do the job but i would defs re hydrate it first.

Cheers and good luck with the brew!

It'll probably turn out a nicer beer with the BE3 as opposed to the BE1 too. I'm not sure of the logic of adding more sugar to ensure fermentation occurs... all you need is yeast and any amount of sugar. Malt extract contains sugar as well in the form of maltose, so you don't need to add any table sugar/dextrose at all really.

Your beer will improve the more you add malt extract

BE3 will make much better beer, BE1 will make fizzy cats piss in comparison,

My best kits in the past have been using either 1 to 1.5 kg of malt extract (without any need for corn or cane sugar)

one of my fav tryed and true trusty simple kit and kilo brew is done in as little as half an hour

1.7 English bitter kit

1 kg light dryed malt

ferment 18-20 degrees

simple quick recipe makes a good drop

• 4 weeks later...

Well I,m back and the the the difference in beers when using BE1 or 3 is significant. Wit the BE1 after 4weeks in the bottle it has a bit of a sour taste. With the be3 after 2 weeks in the bottle is a much better beer and very easy to drink. Why do Coopers supply the the be1 when the difference that the be3 makes is so much better. 

Any way wont every use the BE1 again.

BE1 is nothing more than a blend of Dextrose 60% and Maltodextrin 40%.

BE2 and BE3 comprise of more malt extract than BE1 and they may well produce a better tasting beer, depending on what you are looking to produce. 

However, it is not BE1 that produces a sour taste.

A sour taste is produced by external spoilage organisms other than the brew ingredients.  Despite our best efforts to clean and sanitise, every brew that we make (me and you included) has some degree of spoilage organisms.

Hoppo, I think BE1 is designed with producing a lighter, drier, more commercial draught beer style in mind.  Light colour and with some head retention from the maltodextrin.  

This would be in the style of the 'Lawnmower Lager' recipe.  I haven't brewed it for a while, but I sometimes do in summer and serve it with ice, Vietnam style.  It's just like buying a 6 pack of Chang at 7/11 for $2 or whatever it costs ?  

It shouldn't have a sour taste though?  Like PB2 says that can be caused by infection.  But sometimes I find the brews that have a higher percentage of sugar in them benefit from more time in the bottle before you drink.  Try leaving it for another few weeks and see if that taste has rounded off.  

Archived