Coopers Community

Aramis Pils

So Vinnie Cilurzo from Russian River is a big fan of the Aramis hop varietal, and uses it for 100% of the hopping in their STS pils (to 50 IBUs as measured in the packaged beer).

It sounds like an awesome beer and I just happen to have everything I need on hand. I might aim for a 1.050 OG and hope for a 1.010 FG (which might be a little ambitious for my yeast strain).

So, my recipe will be:

100% Weyerman Bohemian pils malt

30g Aramis (5.6% AA) @FWH (60 minute boil)

40g Aramis @10 mins

40g Aramis @flameout (10 minute steep)

30g Aramis dry hop

Wyeast 2002PC Gambrinus lager

Tinseth gives 51.7 IBUs from the 2 boil additions for a 14 litre end of boil volume, and I will get a few more IBUs from the flameout addition. So while it might end up a bit low on bitterness once fermentation is done, I'm hesitant to push it much further, especially as it will be going into my cube to slowly cool. And yes, I believe it is dry hopped at the Russian River pub.

I'm looking forward to tasting this one!

Cheers,

John

Hi John.

1.050 OG & 51.7 IBU are not a normal pairing I would expect to see when making a pilsner/lager style beer.

I concede this is not your typical lager beer.

BJCP Guidelines - 3B: Czech Premium Pale Lager

I have a little side project I've done some practical experimenting with already that has some similarities to what you're doing here, so I'll be interested in how this turns out.

Good luck with the brew. wink

Lusty.

I haven't used that particular yeast John, no. Its attenuation is listed as a similar figure to the two I have been using though, being 2000 and 2001, so it should perform pretty similarly. I have gotten lagers down to your target FG a number of times with these two yeasts.

• 2 months later...

Brewed up a batch of the toned down version for my wife last night. Lower IBU, lower gravity and no dry hop. Slightly smaller batch size too as I will be fermenting in my jerry can. 

2.5kg Best Malz Heidelberg pils

11g Aramis (5.6% AA) @FWH

30g Aramis @10 mins

40g Aramis @flameout

TC 86 Days pils kit yeast

1.040 OG, 30 IBU, 13l end of boil volume (will be 9 or 10 into the fermenter, will stop transferring whenever headspace looks about right), no-chill in the kettle. 

Cheers, 

John 

I thought I had 2 packs of the TC 86 Days Pils yeast in the fridge ... forgot that I already gave them to a friend last year. He never actually used them, so that was a mistake.

The pack of INT Ale / Lager blend I pitched was showing signs of life when I checked at 6:00 this morning.

Cheers,

John

Archived