Here's the recipe

1x sparkling ale can

1x coopers wheat malt can

200 med crystal

100 Cara aroma

Yeast m29 French saison

25 ekg @5

15 ekg 5min steep. 23 L

Beer is two weeks in the bottle and I was expecting it would need a decent amount of time in the bottle, just wondering if this is normal for this style. It has a twang which either needs months in the bottle or it's stuffed. I've recently been drinking a beer that was very similar at same stage which was an Amber ale that used crystal and Cara aroma too. It's now 12 months later and to my surprise it's now a great Amber ale and I put it down to there being just to much crystal caramel sweetness in the end. Hoping this one goes the same, any thoughts on this appreciated, cheers folks

Can you give a more detailed description of the flavour?

Are you a fan of Saisons? Saison yeast can be phenolic, and especially with the good whack of wheat you have in your recipe. Could that be it?

What temperature did you ferment at?

I have not brewed the Sparkling Ale kit, buy by the numbers is seems fairly light in colour, so the flavour you notice is probably not due to too much crystal (although that could have been an issue with your Amber Ale).

Cheers,

Christina.

Thanks guys, it's Definitely green which I expected from this brew. Not sure if it's infected I don't think it is .it was brewed ambient and stayed 26-30 it may have moved around a bit too much for the yeast to stay happy but I didn't expect that to be a problem which is why I chose to do a saisin. I've tried a six pack of a saison before and while I wasnt totally in love with it I enjoyed the style. Hoping it's just going to take a while to mellow into something nice, was hoping to have something to drink soon though as my stocks are very low! Cheers

That yeast has a very distinctive phenolic flavour as Christina says and its not to everybody's liking. It will mellow gradually but the flavour won't disappear completely.
The one and only saison I brewed back in the summer with M29 nearly got tipped because it was SO 'band-aid' tasting prior to bottling. I bottled it up anyway... and thankfully it ended up being a very good example of a saison with no hint of the band-aid, though still plenty of the other saison yeast flavours one might normally expect.. Phew!

I think this is probably one of those occasions where time and patience is your friend.

I have done one saison with m29 and fermented it at ambient around 26-28c and i love it, others that have tried not so much. I used 5kg pilsner and 500g wheat malt, bittered with sorachi. Its spicy, clovey, tart, sour and almost has the mouthfeel of a bubbly champagne. Definitely an acquired taste like others said, mines aged 6 months but its still got that super phenol taste going on.

• 8 months later...

Archived