Coopers Community

1stGo Pale

Hopefully over Easter I'll have a chance to do my first AG in the Robo. I'm also using beersmith for the first time so still getting my head around it. I've come up with the below to try. I'm guessing its sort of a light Pale Ale. I'm trying Brooklyn hops that I haven't got round to using in any of my KK yet. Since both the Brooklyn and Galaxy have high AA I can get the needed bitterness from late additions.

Recipe: 1stGo Pale

Brewer: BladeCA

Asst Brewer:

Style: American Pale Ale

TYPE: All Grain

Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 29.83 l

Post Boil Volume: 25.00 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 24.00 l

Bottling Volume: 22.49 l

Estimated OG: 1.039 SG

Estimated Color: 10.1 EBC

Estimated IBU: 28.7 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.50 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 1 86.4 %

0.30 kg Caramalt (Barrett Burston) (42.0 EBC) Grain 2 7.4 %

0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 6.2 %

15.00 g Brooklyn [17.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 4 15.7 IBUs

15.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 12.9 IBUs

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 6 -

35.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

25.00 g Brooklyn [18.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Bear in mind there is a difference between bitterness contributed from late additions as opposed to early additions. I also use a lot of late additions in my APAs but still include an early addition to achieve that sort of "true" bitterness that you only get from long boiled hops, otherwise the beer tastes unbalanced to me. YMMV.

I think you're being optimistic about only losing a litre to kettle trub too (in case you're unaware, the fluffy white shit at the bottom after the boil should be left in the kettle and not transferred to the fermenter).. I'd be increasing that to at least 3 litres, so your batch size might end up a little under 24 litres in the end.

Agree with otto on the 'true' bitterness, i love big dank hoppy american ipas and i would always throw minimum magnum in @60 and try get my bitterness from later additions. Last few brews i stopped that and started giving it a good wack of Columbus for bittering then pretty much all 5min or flameout hop stands because i no chill. Def noticing a big difference in the clean bitterness/hoppy flavor i have been chasing.

Thanks Otto and Dirtman

The true bitterness part was something I was worried about and a little more reading seems to show that Brooklyn is fine as a bittering hop (galaxy you stay away from with a 60ft barge pole), So I've rejigged the recipe to the below. I've also dropped the grain bill a little as I want the ABV not too high, since I bottle condition in 470ml bottles with 2 carb drops I'll pick up prob 0.4-0.5% extra so the lower SG before fermentI'm hoping won't throw out the SG:IBU ratio too much.... I guess it's my first AG brew so there is some allowance for a total stuff up lol

And I've gone back and looked at the loss due to trub and stuff. In beer smith I've got it set at a loss of 3.4l for the luter tun loss which I assumed would also cover most of the loss due to the trub seeing that its a single vessel. The extra 1L was for what I would drop in the immersion chiler as I plan to run the wort through the chiller that is sitting in a bucket of iced water instead of having it in the boiler running tap water through it. I want to try this method as it's similar to a process i"m used to from a previous job where we needed to keep things cool to avoid resin from pre-cure.

Recipe: 1stGo Pale

Brewer: BladeCA

Asst Brewer:

Style: American Pale Ale

TYPE: All Grain

Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 30.36 l

Post Boil Volume: 25.53 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 22.50 l

Bottling Volume: 20.99 l

Estimated OG: 1.041 SG

Estimated Color: 9.7 EBC

Estimated IBU: 32.3 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 76.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 82.8 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.30 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 1 85.7 %

0.30 kg Caramalt (Barrett Burston) (42.0 EBC) Grain 2 7.8 %

0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 6.5 %

10.00 g Brooklyn [17.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 21.0 IBUs

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -

10.00 g Brooklyn [17.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20 Hop 6 6.2 IBUs

10.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 7 5.1 IBUs

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 8 -

30.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

20.00 g Brooklyn [17.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

I don't think lauter tun losses are relevant to a single vessel system. On mine it's listed at zero, with trub loss at 4 litres. I used the 40L urn profile since that's what I'm brewing in and while I have edited parts of it to suit my system (and created two separate profiles for my 21 and 25L batch sizes), the lauter tun loss was one figure that I haven't changed. This seems to work out in reality. It's a pain in the arse setting up equipment profiles but once you get it right it makes things a lot easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived