Coopers Community

Galactipa

No, I'm not ripping of Galactopus.

I have some leftover DME and some leftover Galaxy so I'm going to make a small batch (12L) IPA that's probably a bit over the top.

Here's what I'm thinking ...

80% Base (MO?)

7% Crystal (Caramunich III?)

13% DME

Should give me an OG of 1.053.

From there I have a bunch of rather potent 15.9AA Galaxy to use up - 90g in total. I think 42 IBUs would be about right so that's 35g @15 for flavour and bitterness, and 55g dry hopped.

Enough? Not quite sure. I'm still getting the hang of large additions but thinking in g/L helps me a lot. In this case I've got only 3g/L late and 5.5h/L dry. Not ridiculous enough!!

So, if you were in charge, I handed you TWO 100g bags of Galaxy and said "use as much as you want", what would you do?

Remember - 12L batch

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like writing something totally ridiculous in the hope that it ends up your the next video,

however, I know nothing about galaxy hops and still learning about how hops are affecting my final taste.

The scary thing is with a small batch, I can assume that 1 gram off makes double the difference as opposed to being 1 gram off in a 23 lt batch.

Kr from my experience with galaxy, I wouldn't be brewing this for a single hop ipa. A pale ale or pacific ale maybe, but probably not ipa. Id definitely use it in large amounts dry hopping, possibly even flame out and cube. But would leave bittering to a lower cohumulone hop and combine it with 1 or 2 varieties of modern US west coast hops for late and dry additions.

1.053 and 42 IBU sits in Apa territory for me too.

My favorite brew to date with only galaxy is Ben10s take on pacific ale. I did 25g flame out, 25g cube and 50g dry. It was a very simply malt base of pale malt and what malt at 60/40

KR, I dug this out of my Beersmith Brew Log. I remember it tasting fantastic, but thinking it could easily have handled plenty more Galaxy.

85.7% Briess Pale Ale Malt

14.3% BestMalz Vienna

10g Motueka @FWH

5g Galaxy @FWH

15g Galaxy @5 mins

15g Galaxy @flameout (15 minute steep)

20g Galaxy dry hop

Volume: 12.5 litres at end-of-boil

OG: 1.062

IBU: 60

I fermented with WLP002 slurry which attenuated well and gave a really nice soft mouthfeel (in combination with the modest bitterness). There was zero harshness in this beer.

For a re-brew, I would have no qualms about dropping the Motueka and using a solo Galaxy FWH addition for the base bitterness. I would up the bitterness a bit ... it needed more than the 60 IBU estimated (IMO your 42 IBU target is nowhere near enough.) I would also at least double the 5 minute, flameout and dry hop addition.

Cheers,

John

Edit: Hmmm now you have got me thinking about re-brewing this at some point since I have 225g Galaxy in my freezer. Might do it as an IPL though.

The recipe as it stands is basically just a normal, slightly more bitter APA, there's nothing over the top about it at all tongue. I'd increase the OG by at least 10 points and the bitterness by at least 20 IBUs, just use a different hop to achieve the bitterness as Galaxy can be quite harsh when boiled for long periods, or even short periods if it's no chilled. That will get you into IPA territory if that's the intended style.

Increasing bitterness is easy - the Galaxy I have is 15.9%AA so a little bit extra here or there goes a long way.

To increase the gravity I'll probably need to add more DME, as I'm doing this stovetop and so don't have the room in the pot for a high-gravity mash.

Hopefully the calculations are correct!

Just a point on the hopping. I brewed an IPA a couple of years ago which was heavily late hopped with not much in the earlier additions. It was brewed to 1.063 OG and 63 IBUs but I missed the OG by a few points. Even though the beer was nice, it lacked a "proper" bitterness. If or when I brew another one I'll definitely be adding more bitterness with early boil additions, perhaps half the IBUs from those and half from the late additions. I think from memory that beer was about 1/4 of the IBUs early and the rest late. Obviously everyone's tastes vary so heavy late hopping might work for you better than it did for me. I still wouldn't use Galaxy in long boils though.

I used that 1:1 ratio in mine as well, I just had too much of the BU from late additions and it didn't really work as well as it could have, for my taste at least. It looks like you've got a vote either way for long boiling Galaxy, however I have certainly read a lot more reports of harsh bitterness from long boiling it than it working well so if it was me I wouldn't use it in that manner.

Alright, well, I've placed my order. I'll have enough malt and light DME to get to an OG of 1.065, plus about 190 grams of Galaxy at my disposal and a couple of days to decide exactly what to do with that.

My main problem though is going to be keeping the bitterness down! Even 20g @10 adds over 20 IBUs to it, so I'll probably only be able to get about 40% of my bitterness from the 60 minute addition.

Hi KR,

My 2 cents worth also would advise, don't use it for bittering. I would also advise not using much more than 30-40 grams late or even flameout for a 23 litre batch, so less than 20g for a half size.

Go to town on the dry hop however, you will end up with a very impressive passionfruit with a touch of mango tropical aroma :-)

Alternatively I expect you could add quite a whack when wort temp has reduced to about 80c and not end up with the back of the mouth coating harsh bitterness..

(I made the mistake of making a S&W Pac ale using galaxy to bitter, and also a White IPA with the same, not so good...)

For IPA level bitterness I would as advised above run with a traditional bittering hop, magnum, warrior, Simcoe etc (or run a hop shot or cryo hops for less grassiness)

Hi Ruddy. smile

Did the pinched improve or mellow overtime Beerlust?

It was actually on a version of Scottie's Styx River Pale Ale recipe.

Styx River Pale Revisited

The harsh bitterness came as a bit of a shock having not used Galaxy solely for FWH at that stage of my brewing' date=' & I wasn't looking to track it through extended ageing. So, sorry I can't offer you a timeframe.

Bitterness is the last hop related aspect to fade in a beer, & I remember thinking at the time that this harsh tone didn't seem like it was going to subside anytime soon, & was still very prominent when drinking the last of that batch. [img']pouty[/img]

I just learned from the experience & moved on.

Cheers,

Lusty.

4 brewers and regular posters on this forum r advising you to not bitter with galaxy KR. I've learnt the hard way twice and it is a really harsh bitterness that makes the beer almost u drinkable. Use a lot, use it late and dry.

I'm a big fan of cube hopping galaxy.

Like headmaster n everyone else suggested, add bitterness using a different hop, then smash it with cube and dry additions. Maybe flame out but be wary that it will keep adding bitterness in the cube. I even go as far as to quick chill my cube to sub 80C in a tub of water to control the bitterness being extracted

Jools

Ahh mini mash no cube. That makes sense and you will be able to control and predict the bitterness that galaxy will provide. You could try and chill it to just under 80C and then take it out of the sink. Add steeping hops for a hop stand. Could add heaps here and in theory will add no bitterness. Then generous dry hop. Sounds like it will be fantastic mate!

Didn't get a chance to make this over easter unfortunately, so you can all expect a few more questions from me in the next couple of days.

First - should there any sort of relationship between the number of flavour and aroma hops? eg. roughly even? Does it matter?

Hi Ruddy.

Didn't get a chance to make this over easter unfortunately' date=' so you can all expect a few more questions from me in the next couple of days.

First - should there any sort of relationship between the number of flavour and aroma hops? eg. roughly even? Does it matter?[/quote']

I watched your most recent Fast Homebrew tasting video where among the beers you tasted was an IPA that you stated wasn't bitter enough & resembled more of an APA.

I was using ~0.85' date=' but the OG is low and so therefore the bitterness is a bit down too[/quote']

I hope you have learned from that & move your BU:GU more to a 1:1 ratio. For an IPA most hops (excluding a handful) can be used to create that back end bitterness from long boiling. Aiming for approx. 66% - 75% of your IBU total from that sole long boil addition will create a good IPA level bitterness for you. What you add & where you add the rest of your flavour hops to reach the 1:1 ratio left in the boil is up to interpretation & individual wants & desires. For the dry hop, go as mad as you like.

Good luck with the brew. wink

Lusty.

Okie dokie, so, I had an expected OG of 1.070 (didn't measure it on account of it only being a 12L batch, so every drop is precious!) and 67 IBUs.

I added 10g Galaxy @15, 25g @5 and some unknown amount I just tossed in there as a hop stand after it cooled to about 70, because why not.

• 2 weeks later...

Just dry hopped this at a rate that turned out to be 8.5g/L. "Turned out to be" because the scales switched off in between bags of Galaxy, so I just shrugged and kept shaking them in and eventually thought "that's enough" and stopped. When I weighed the bag to figure out how much was missing, it added up to 93g

• 2 weeks later...

Archived