Coopers Community

Janet's Brown Mash Schedule

G'day,

I'm going to be giving the Janet's Brown recipe (from Home Brew Allstars) a go for my next batch. I have a couple of questions. I have done a bit of reading but if there's someone that could help me out, I'd be grateful.

The grain bill is:

- 5.4 Pale Malt

- 560g Carapils

- 560g Crystal 40

- 450g Wheat Malt

- 230g Chocolate Malt

So far, my all grain brews have been a straight forward 60 minute mash held at the one temperature, sparged with 75C water and brought to the boil.

The Janet's Brown has the following:

Saccharification Rest 68C for 30 minutes

Mash Out 74C for 15 minutes

Sparge 76C for 45 minutes

I'm assuming the Saccharification and Mash Out are just held at that temp for that amount of time.

I'll be using a Grainfather for this brew. Should I recirculate as per usual?

I'm not sure about the Sparge for 45 minutes though. Is it just sparge as usual and hold that temp for 45 minutes - then move on to the boil? Or is it just a very slow sparge?

The recipe also calls for 28g of Northern Brewer for Mash hops. Just chuck them in with the grain?

Has anyone had any experience with mash hopping? Thoughts?

Cheers

I'd agree with Ben there. That 74C step is a bit of a no man's land area anyway, it's not hot enough for a proper mash out which should be done at 78C, but it's also hotter than the usual alpha amylase range. Never done mash hopping so can't comment on that but it doesn't sound like something that would make any real difference to a brown ale.

Thanks for your advice Ben and Otto - it's much appreciated smile. Sorry about the delayed response. I've been flat out.

I'll keep my regular mash as is and fiddle around with the hop schedule to suit the IBUs.

The mash temperatures looked a bit odd but I wasn't sure. I think I have a basic idea about most of this stuff but I often go to put it into practice and realise I don't understand it very well at all haha.

I'm hoping to get the chance to put this down this Saturday. I am stinging to trying this once brewed as it's a bit different to anything I have made so far.

• 5 months later...

So, this turned out really well. I was stoked with the end beer. I even drank a number of them before it had properly carbonated.

I entered it in a competition run by a local brewery the other day and it took out first place in the Strong Ale category. I'm not sure how many other beers were entered in that category - possibly none! - but the feedback I got was good and a voucher at the LHBS is always handy.

I'll definitely brew this one again.

Archived