Coopers Community

Coopers session ale

RepSpec

I’ve done plenty of dry hopping in the cold crash for over 8/9 days with galaxy and have had no grassy tones. Maybe a little of perceived bitterness but nothing grassy.

To add, the additions I’ve done are around the 100/120g mark for 23/25l. If that makes a difference 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your responses. I'm not able to use the chux cloth as my FV is actually a cube and last time I used a hop sock I couldn't get it out without a massive amount of fart arsing around, hence the commando hop.

My batch is 22 litres and I'm only planning on using 30g each of galaxy and Citra (total 60g) so hopefully it'll be alright. I might dry hop it a day or 2 before leaving then set the fridge for cold crash as I'm walking out the door. 

I took a SG sample today and tasted it. Wow! Can really tell the flavour difference from the CCA yeast. It tasted very close to the original session ale beer and the lighter colour was on par as well. The late hop boils have clearly done their job. It's not quite reached FG yet, bit given the promising flavour in this sample as it is, I'm almost tempted to bypass dry hopping it and just bottling it as is...

• 2 weeks later...

Bottled this session ale yesterday. I ended up with a FG of 1012, so by the time the carb drops do their thing the beer should come out about 4.2% I'm guessing. Can really taste the hops and the difference made by the CCA yeast. Really keen to see how this one turns out. The beer is light in colour too, so hopefully swapping the APA out for Mexican cervesa as a base will have the intended colour on par with the original.

I've set aside a carton of stubbies of this to take to the parents place for Xmas as my brother is always asking when he can sample it. Got 11 long necks and 35 stubbies in total so if it's a winner this recipe could be on high rotation. Will let you know how it turns out in a couple weeks 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've cracked a few of these over the weekend. Very impressed with the result. Doesn't appear to have the kit aftertaste a lot of K&K brews have. The hops.shine through in a really easy drinking summer beer. Side by side comparison with the bought session ale, mines very close to the mark in colour, however if I was to be really critical, mine doesn't have the same amount of trademark Cooper's yeast flavour like the bought one, even though I used the CCA yeast from 8 pale ale stubbies.

My friends were impressed. I reckon this will be a regular brew and I might just tweak the additions a bit and use a bit more yeast next time. I think the use of Mexican cervesa as a base has worked well too for course and allowing the hops to show through. 

Fair enough. I pretty much brew all my ales at 18 or 19 degrees. But yeah I'll give it a crack. Will definitely make this beer a staple. Given its only got 1kg of malt the 8 stubbies I pinched the yeast from should be plenty.

I had another one of these last night straight out of the bottle after work. Still bloody delicious, quite stoked I actually made it because it's that bloody good haha.

Archived