Coopers Community

Coopers session ale

RepSpec

Hey guys

So since coopers released their Session ale, ive been trying to get my hands on some...but been in Vic...it was a bit harder as only a few places had it on tap. However it got bottled and i finally found some last night while buying some other beer.

Had a try and was very impressed. Its slightly fruity but then the slight bitterness/spicyness from the Melba comes through and finishes off nicely. Great "new craft beer" addition to their core range...hopefully making more people drink Coopers... Plus the blue label looks fantastic...really stands out!

I made a clone based off the tasting notes of this and i feel mine was stronger in flavour, but probably not quite as sessionable (although i certainly had a few sessions on itbiggrin) due to the stronger flavour.

So have others tried it...and what did they think?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi RepSpec.

Yep I've had it both on tap & purchased a 6 pack the other day. Coopers have done a good job with it & it is a nice slightly hoppy session beer with nice aroma.

I did a side by side tasting against SAB Miller/Carlton United's 'Wild Yak' Pacific Ale & they are very, very similar. I imagine Kirin/Lion Nathan's James Squire 'Swindler' Tropical Ale would taste much the same.

The style is becoming quite popular among the younger brigade of drinkers as I'm selling variants of this type of beer a little more these days.

This offering is really Coopers wanting their share of this pie (IMHO). wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Sounds tasty, I wonder when I'll be able to get my hands on some here in Canberra?

Coincidentally I was planning to brew a moderate gravity and bitterness, hop burst session ale, fermented with CCA yeast as my next batch. Back to a no sparge all grain method for this one and keen to make use of some of my new hops (Mosaic, Nelson, Galaxy, Enigma and Aramis).

2.3kg Voyager Atlas malt

500g Best Malz Wheat malt

6g Enigma at 15 mins

12g Enigma at 5 mins

8g Galaxy at 5 mins

12g Enigma at flameout

8g Galaxy at flameout

18g Enigma dry hop

12g Galaxy dry hop

1.040 og and 25 ibu (from the 15 and 5 minute additions, plus a bit more from a flameout addition). The ratio of the hop blend is based on the average total oil content for both varieties. With hops being added for only the last 15 mins of the boil I'm tempted just to do a 30 minute boil for this batch.

Cheers,

John

gee i was pretty close with mine...going by the recipe of the month

mine was a bit spicier with the bitterness from the 10min boil from the Melba...

My session ale clone

1 x APA

1 x 1kg LDM

us-05 rehyrdated

23ltrs

25g Melba @ 10mins

25g melba f/o

25g galaxy f/o

30g galaxy dry hopped

30g melba dry hopped

OG 1037

4.4%

recipe of the month

1 x 1.7kg Australian Pale Ale

2 x 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

1 x 25g Galaxy Hop Pellets

1 x 25g Melba Hop Pellets

Use brew can yeast or Coopers commercial yeast culture

1 x 250g Coopers Carbonation Drops

Right oh,

Next brew on the list are

- Neslon Sauvin Saison (once the bits are in stock)

- RepSess ale, going by your pale ale multi hop im sold on your brewery biggrin

Love the new / modern lighter ales with nice light but full hop punch.

I tried the Session Ale a few months ago at a pub, and was a bit underwhelmed. It was really nice and flavourful first, but by the time I was finishing my glass, I could hardly taste all this flavour - my tastebuds must have developed some sort of tolerance to it very quickly. The ale also seemed very watery and lacked body. If it was a new craft brewery, then I probably would think that it's a good start, but somehow I expected a bit more of Coopers. Then again, it seems to be their first commercial dry-hopped beer, so maybe that explains it?

Anyway, Session Ale is the current recipe of the month, so I have ordered it, the price is great too. If I like it, great, if not, I may try to improve it next time. I don't want to "harvest" Coppers commercial yeast, what sachet yeast do you guys think will be best - something in American ale style?

I found some on tap in Gilhooleys in the city a couple of weekends ago. I'd agree with what Lusty describes about it, although I do feel it was stronger in flavor than the Wild Yak (that was actualy quite bland when I tried it). The Swindler is probably closer to it but out of all three I preferred the Coopers.

- RepSess ale' date=' going by your pale ale multi hop im sold on your brewery [img']biggrin[/img]

haha got a fan! You making me think about brewing that again Mike...havent brewed the same brew twice yet

• 4 weeks later...
Does the Coopers use the Cooopers yeast?

I found it in Darwin and the beer is VERY enjoyable from an esky. Love how crisp it is.

Yes it does.

It doesn't have the noticeable ester profile that the Pale Ale does' date=' so I'd suggest it is fermented sub 20°C.

If I was going to brew this beer I'd ferment it with the commercial ale strain at around 17-18°C. [img']wink[/img]

Coincidentally, I'm drinking this beer right now. biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 2 weeks later...

I love it. I give it a good nudge down here in Adelaide when it hit taps over summer and around fringe festival. Was stoked when they released it in stubs n tins.

On my 3rd carton in a row, went for the tins this time and they're just as good as the stubs. I love all Cooper's range but this one leaves u feeling less bloated than if u got on the pales or sparklings.

I enjoy the fruit and hop taste/aroma to it but it's still got that unmistakeable Cooper's taste to it, which is a good thing. Glad they've entered this corner of the market.

Just waiting for the price to drop after the new beer wow factor wears off. At around $52 a carton it's a bit steep given that u can get a box of pales (which has higher grog content) for anywhere from $45 down here.

Once I can get my hands on some Melba hops I'll be making the clone recipe.

I agree, the Session Ale is a great addition to the Coopers family, and it seems to be selling like mad.

However, I got my hands on Hawkers Rover at the same time, and I'm sorry Coopers but there's no comparison. For roughly the same ABV and slightly cheaper price tag the flavour on the Rover is phenomenal for such a mild brew.

Am I in trouble for posting this? innocent

I agree' date=' the Session Ale is a great addition to the Coopers family, and it seems to be selling like mad.

However, I got my hands on Hawkers Rover at the same time, and I'm sorry Coopers but there's no comparison. For roughly the same ABV and slightly cheaper price tag the flavour on the Rover is phenomenal for such a mild brew.

Am I in trouble for posting this? [img']innocent[/img]

Possibly

I bought a 6 pack of the tinnies and really enjoyed it.  Someone mentioned that unmistakable hint of Coopers yeast flavour, which I agree separates it from Wild Yak and Swindler.  Swindler I actually enjoyed, although the Coopers is definitely better.  The Swindler is basically hop forward lemonade IMO, the session ale still tastes like beer.  

Repspec your session ale clone looks a lot more interesting than the ROTM.. will have to try brewing it sometime.  Got me thinking actually, I've enjoyed most of the ROTM's I've brewed but perhaps where they fall down sometimes is in not enough hops for the flavours to really jump out.  There's been a few that were really nice, but I could still taste a hint of 'kit' hiding in there

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, I was really impressed.  Been waiting for Coopers to come out with something that is a bit inspired by their home brew concoctions.  Now all we need is a commercial Robochoc ? 

Archived