Coopers Community

Bad LHBS advice or comments

The Captain!!

Stories like that make me glad I'm within reasonable driving distance of Craftbrewer. I don't buy everything there, but they know their shit and the staff are always good. I wouldn't make the trip for one item or something but if I'm getting some yeast, DME for starters and some specialty grains or something then it's worth it. I'll get hops there if I need something specific, and base malts if there's no bulk buy on when I need a new sack. Not really local but better than the more local shops.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

local shops.

I love that that’s plural. 

Apart from my LHBS the next closest one is about a 2.5 hour round trip and if I’m going that far I may as well do the 4 hour round trip to the city to buy bulk. 

I will also buy online hops and what not now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Captain: There are some pretty decent brew shops North of the River Beverage HQ in Balcatta are amazing as is Brews R us in Greenwood are brilliant too. 

If i ever need anything they are the places I go. I prefer Beverage HQ a cleaner lay out and eas to get around ? 

23 hours ago, Peter_1983 said:

Captain: There are some pretty decent brew shops North of the River Beverage HQ in Balcatta are amazing as is Brews R us in Greenwood are brilliant too. 

If i ever need anything they are the places I go. I prefer Beverage HQ a cleaner lay out and eas to get around ? 

North of the river? That’s an imaginary force field that you can’t cross. 

Anything north of the river is a 5 hour turn around for me.

Ill check them out. 

Cheers

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2018 at 1:24 AM, The Captain1525230099 said:

I actually don’t know what to do, I want to support my LHBS but it’s getting out of control. I think I may need to look abroad 

I know what you should do! Open a "good" LHBS right next door.  You'll make a fortune.

10 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I know what you should do! Open a "good" LHBS right next door.  You'll make a fortune.

Maybe I should.......... nah. I’ve got too much on as it is. 

Ive been talking to a couple of people I know about who they use and they once did use this LHBS then just started getting their stuff from Perth or online. They just couldn’t handle the bullshit from this place. 

• Like 1

my LHBS is shithouse. the bloke running it is a red faced alcoholic. Absolutely no idea. A friend went in the for the devil's porter can and was told they don't stock it because the yeast isn't any good.

One down the hill is okay, CO2 refills for $44 but SFA in the area of ingredients for grain brewers. Fortunately a brewery down there does the bulk buys of grain for us.

Im lucky where I am. Have Pat out at Penrith who knows his s*it. He is 25 mins drive but worth it for his prices. I go to him about once every 2 months. The country brewer at prospect aint bad. Overpriced but they are quite knowledgeable actually. There co2 refills are reasonable. I go there for any malt i dont buy in bulk and the odd wyeast packet +co2. Best place in sydney for range hands down is at Penshurst. Used to go there a bit when I worked over that way. Changed jobs and nowhere near it now. Had lunch at marrickville last weekend and popped into the hipsters at hop and grain. There shop has increased a lot. Stocked with wyeast and giga yeast and picked up a packet of fermentis saison to try out as i havent seen it anywhere else. Dear as poison there but i guess that goes with the area.

41 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Im lucky where I am. Have Pat out at Penrith who knows his s*it. He is 25 mins drive but worth it for his prices. I go to him about once every 2 months. 

Pat’s a good guy. It would a 25 min drive and a 60 min chat ?

• 1 year later...

Well I went into my LHBS yesterday for some grain. 
First thing I was asked was, is there another HBS opening in our area? 
I was like, hope so cause it might help you guys pull ya socks up a bit. 

It was 930 in the morning and the owner hands me a porter. Tastes this and tell me what you think.......... My reply was it has residual sugars that require fermenting out. And it’s no where near bitter enough for the style. Quite frankly, it’s a tipper. 

Well that didn’t go down too well. 

Then the owner starts saying that they had to let go of one of the brewers because they were sh!t. How they stuffed up heaps of orders and what not. I’ve said to the owner that selling those stuffed up beers is on you as the owner. It’s your business and you sold beer knowingly that it was not up to spec. 
If there is going to be a new LHBS, then I’d say you’ll loose those customers that you sold dud beers to. 
I’m not sure I’m welcome back..........

Oh well, here’s to another LHBS opening.....

• Haha 6

Just now, Ben 10 said:

Well known for finishing their beers early and making bottle bombs

Yeah true.

The beer also tasted very extracty. 

Ive had many a beer that was extract without that twang, this was very very extracty.

Must have been finished quite early and never conditioned either.