Coopers Community

Bad LHBS advice or comments

The Captain!!

Hey beer fans,

Thought I’d start a topic in some really bad advice that homebrew stores give.

Kinda like a “what not to do” kinda thread.

I had a look through the forum and couldn’t find anything relevant.

The inspiration for this come from an experience today where my LHBS which is like a you brew it style home brew store.

I was talking about ingredients for a stout, the bloke handed me a sample of theirs which was actually quite good, and said we supply this for a pie company and they have asked us to pull back on the bitterness of the brew.

I asked “is this about 35ish IBU’s?”

He replied with, “nah mate we don’t use those.”

To top it off he is the head brewer at this place.

Anyways, just a light hearted thread.

Cheers

Captain

Actually, they aren't bad at my LHBS. If the university students they hire on a continual basis don't know the answer to a question, they are good about checking with the manager, who is a partial masher like myself, or doing some research for me.

Cheers,

Christina.

I went to Craftbrewer one day looking for some sodium percarbonate but they were out of stock and advised me that they'd have more in 2-3 weeks time. Ok no worries, so I went to another shop that was sort of on the way home and picked up a couple of kilos. Twenty f#$^@n bucks. The guy then proclaimed that it's not a cleaner, it's a sanitiser and there are "much more economical and better" cleaning choices available. I thought, no shit when you're charging highway robbery prices for the bloody stuff, but I think I'll keep using what has been working for me thanks... When I buy the 25kg sacks at CB it works out at $3.20 per kg, much cheaper!

At my LHBS you had to be careful which of the staff members you got. Not mentioning names or gender to be safe. There were two staff and if you got the right one fine. If not, the other seemed to try to make you feel they were doing you a favour just listening to you question or getting you stuff.

I've stopped going.

The lady in my LHBS has a nice smile.

Her: So you want Dark Ale and Stout, ooooohhh they're nice.

Me: I'm mixing them together to make a Toucan Stout.

Her: ooooohhh, that would be bitter. You'd want to put some sugar in that.

(pointing at a big display of homebrand sugar).

I once read that if the LHBS sells homebrand sugar it's rubbish.

The first thing I saw when I went into this store was homebrand sugar.

I just go to the local healthfood store now. He's got a good selection.

The owner of my LHBS is a Collingwood supporter. Unfortunately I dont really have an alternative shop.

I live very far away but I would like to shop at this shop and only this shop forever. What a legend!!

Youngie

• Like 1

I don't like going to my LHBS, as I'm usually just buying something very small, like a packet of yeast or bag of caps. The owner/operator often makes a sarcastic joke about the size of the purchase, clearly he is wondering where I am buying my grain and hops. I feel guilty about that so it's not really a fun experience for me.

Now that we are in the 21st century and we have the internet, I can, unfortunately for him, buy bags of grain at not far off half the price he has them for, and probably fresher and better quality, same goes for hops.

I know rents are expensive in Sydney, but I am sick of that and I prefer to avoid that being my problem as much as I can.

I also know that these price discrepancies may mean the end of some LHBStores, but unfortunately a lot of retail is getting hit.

His advice has been pretty good though. That used to be another reason why you would go to the LHBS. Once again with the internet that's also less relevant.

I don't like going to my LHBS' date=' as I'm usually just buying something very small, like a packet of yeast or bag of caps. The owner/operator often makes a sarcastic joke about the size of the purchase, clearly he is wondering where I am buying my grain and hops. I feel guilty about that so it's not really a fun experience for me.

Now that we are in the 21st century and we have the internet, I can, unfortunately for him, buy bags of grain at not far off half the price he has them for, and probably fresher and better quality, same goes for hops.

I know rents are expensive in Sydney, but I am sick of that and I prefer to avoid that being my problem as much as I can.

I also know that these price discrepancies may mean the end of some LHBStores, but unfortunately a lot of retail is getting hit.

His advice has been pretty good though. That used to be another reason why you would go to the LHBS. Once again with the internet that's also less relevant.

[/quote']

I’m exactly the same. I only go in case of an emergency. My home brew guy is online is awesome and only charges $15 for sending 25 kilos. He is always available to answer questions and has a heaps of ingredients that my LHBS store can’t offer.

Youngie

Oh my, the winners are at it again.

Went into my LHBS late yesterday. There was a gentleman asking for a grain bill for his mate that lived 5 hour drive away. He would take it to him on Sunday.

The store refused to mill the grain for this bloke as it wouldn’t be fresh enough when it got to him.

They said, it must be used within 24 hrs or it won’t make beer.

Now, I’m an advocate for freshness but really. I’ve heard of guys using milled grain three months after to no ill effect. I just couldn’t believe my ears, refusing a sale due to lack of knowledge on the subject.

This place never ceases to amaze me.

Captain

They said' date=' it must be used within 24 hrs or it won’t make beer.

[/quote']

LOVE IT!

23 hours and 50 minutes is fine, step over the 24 and kittens die.

Reminds me of a Bono (from U2) joke I heard a while ago...

U2 are up on stage playing & Bono stops singing & begins the slow clap that unifies the crowd who then do the same while the band keeps playing. Bono then begins one of his political rants & save the children speeches.

While the crowd are slow clapping Bono says, "Every time you clap a child dies in Africa". Then someone from the crowd yelled at him, "Stop clapping then you cruel bastard!!"

biggrin

As you were.

Lusty.

• 1 month later...

I forgot to post this one.

UV light doesn’t oxidise hops. They just gradually degrade over time no matter how you store them.

I asked why do you store them in the fridge??

Reply: Because I’ve been told that’s the best place to put them.

Facepalm!

Captain

• 2 weeks later...
On 15 March 2018 at 9:37 AM, The Captain1525230099 said:

Ha ha ha

Love it. I’d probably still move stores. I’m a Carlton supporter

Captain

Wow Captain, as a Carlton supporter I'm surprised he lets you in ?

• 5 months later...

I have just about had enough of my LHBS. 

The owner told me off for buying 500g of hops. 

Seriously said to me why are you coming in and buying bags of hops. You could have rang me and I could have ordered some in for you. 

I asked if this store I was standing in was a shop?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Hey @Otto Von Blotto, I buy all my base malt bulk however on my next break I’m going to go to Perth and buy a mill and a few bags of grain, along with some specialty grains too. 

YCH is about a week away from opening this years harvest so I’m going to see if I can get some cashmere and I’ll probably get some cascade. 

Once I’ve used up the hops in my freezer I’ll make another trip to Perth and go hop shopping. 

Ive had it with my LHBS. Unfortunately it’s the only one in the area. It could be a thriving business if they knew what they were doing. A couple of other home brewers I know have stopped using them too for the same reason as I have/will.