Coopers Community

How many 740ml bottles will I need for my first brew.

AussieZeppelin

i can get anywhere between 25-30 bottles depending on the brew i make and how many "unfermentables" ie hop material, excess yeast/build up on the bottom.

The Last batch i did i got 28, the Toucan stout i got 30.

i can get anywhere between 25-30 bottles depending on the brew i make and how many "unfermentables" ie hop material' date=' excess yeast/build up on the bottom.

The Last batch i did i got 28, the Toucan stout i got 30.[/quote']That stuff is known as trub (pronounced "troob" for some reason), not unfermentables. Unfermentables refers to sugars or carbohydrates dissolved in the wort/beer. These are what give it its body, mouthfeel and malt flavor.

G'day AZ

If you are brewing to 23 litres, then as Ben & Otto said, you need 30 bottles. That is two boxes of Coopers PET bottles. And Otto is also correct in saying that you need an extra 30 so you can get your next brew going.

I've got a number of fermenters and often have two brews going at a time, so I need 60 for that. But then I need another 60 so I get the next brews going. I've currently got 8 boxes of PET bottles, so like 120 bottles. That covers me if I start making ciders or something different that I want to put away for a while to age.

So it's really up to you as to how involved you get. But a minimum of 30 for your brew, preferably 60 so you can keep brewing.

Have fun

Cheers

Bill

Archived