Coopers Community

Mead...

ben 10

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just laid in some ingredient for a future foray... inspired by you Mead Brewing Legends!

Will have to organise a glass demijohn and bubbler etc..

Question re fancy yeast (that can cope with higher ABV) vs bread yeast - advice anyone?

image.thumb.png.547854d6d2b4878d727ad28b22d44cdb.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2019 at 11:51 AM, Ben 10 said:

yummy yummy glass of honey....

IMG_20190108_204922.thumb.jpg.dd960e0eb41369c8978b92b087241a1f.jpg

Benny Brewing Legend - did you use any u-beaut yeast for your magic drop or just throw in a few sultanas and a bit of bread yeast?

Seems like there are all sorts of flash yeasts available - and SC suggest a cider yeast too - what yeast did you use Master Brewer?

• 1 month later...

Fascinating stuff everyone.  Well my bag of Fermaid O arrived yesterday, so the 4 large jars of honey I have tucked away will be shortly turned into mead!  I don't have a glass carboy but will use a brand new, clean white bucket for my first mead.  If it turns out well and I can continue to get honey from a friend of a friend's hive, then I might invest in a glass carboy, bung, etc.

I had a good read of JAOM, as well as the mead made right page.  Thanks Ben10 and Christina).

I'm going to follow the TOSNA protocol for my first mead.  I have the honey, the nutrient and Mangrove Jack's mead yeast M05 https://mangrovejacks.com/products/mead-m05-yeast-10g).

Simple and hopefully will ferment well, highlight the flavour of the honey.  Here's hoping!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's time to harvest spruce tips where I live so I wan't to make dry sparkling session mead. 

Input and ideas will be appreciated. 

Spruce Mead (carbonated)

22 litres

ca 4,6 vol%

• 3,5 kg honey

• spruce tips 1 kg 

• Fermaid K 12 g 

• 6-10 lemons, or maybe rhubarb.  

• edelmans yeast Steinberger (fruity yeast) 

• 1 ml enzym Zymex pectolase

• 170 g honey for priming

• Day 1: Sliced lemons (or rhubarb) and spruce tips together. Pour boiling water on it.

• Add honey and enzyme when below 45 °C.

• Put it into fermenter, fill up to 23 l and 22 °C, add yeast. aerate.

• Ferment at 20 °C.

• Day 2, add 4 g Fermaid. Stir gently to release CO2

• Day 4, add 4 g Fermaid. Stir gently to release CO2

• Day 7, add 4 g Fermaid. Stir gently to release CO2

• Ferment for at least 2-3 weeks, until the bubbles have slowed completely.

• Drain clean into secondary fermenter. Ferment at 21 °C for 1 week.

• Raise temperature. Ferment at 22 °C for 1 week.

• Drain clean into new fermenter. Cold crash 2 weeks + gelatine finings.

• Drain into priming fermenter with 170 g honey mixed with some water. Let the bottles sit at about 21°C for 2 weeks.

• Store at 12 °C or lower. 

• Chill a few days before drinking.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

@der kleine Drache looks good. I really don’t know much about mead or honey for carbonation but looks like you’ve done ya research.

Hope it goes well for ya. 

Thanks! The recipe is a combination of recipes I've found. Made a very nice sweet cyser last year and a dry apple/rhubarb/red currant variety this winter (not so nice, too sour) but have been wanting to do sparkling session mead since I tried some at a friends party five years ago.  

• Like 2

I bottled one PET of my Canberra honey mead last year. It seems to be softening so time for it to go in the fridge before it oxidises too badly. The ones in glass are still tasting nice and fresh.

Cheers, 

John

Edited by porschemad911

I have never made mead before, but I once made a batch of spruce tip beer. You can read about it in this thread: 

You may find some helpful information there. 

At first blush, 1kg looks like a lot of spruce tips. In beer making the top amount I saw recommended was 8 ounces (~240gm) in a 5 US gallons (~19L). I think it is best to err on the side of caution in these cases. Better to use to little and still be able to drink your mead than to end up with something really unpleasant and not want to drink it. 

Not sure where you live but be sure to research which species of spruce is used for brewing in your area. They are not all the same. Some are better than others, and some should be avoided altogether. I live in Canada and here blue spruce is considered the best, red spruce is good too, but white spruce (which is the most common this time of year) is to be avoided. It has an odour of cat pee. I used red spruce and was very happy with the results....I would go with lemon. Lemon and spruce contain some of the same essential oils. 

Good luck with the mead. 

Cheers,

Christina. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

I have never made mead before, but I once made a batch of spruce tip beer. You can read about it in this thread: 

You may find some helpful information there. 

At first blush, 1kg looks like a lot of spruce tips. In beer making the top amount I saw recommended was 8 ounces (~240gm) in a 5 US gallons (~19L). I think it is best to err on the side of caution in these cases. Better to use to little and still be able to drink your mead than to end up with something really unpleasant and not want to drink it. 

Not sure where you live but be sure to research which species of spruce is used for brewing in your area. They are not all the same. Some are better than others, and some should be avoided altogether. I live in Canada and here blue spruce is considered the best, red spruce is good too, but white spruce (which is the most common this time of year) is to be avoided. It has an odour of cat pee. I used red spruce and was very happy with the results....I would go with lemon. Lemon and spruce contain some of the same essential oils. 

Good luck with the mead. 

Cheers,

Christina. 

Thanks for the info!

I live in Sweden and the recipe is based on an american Spruce Beer recipe, an american session mead recipe and 2 swedish spruce wine recipes + I have made some nice herring with spruce tips last year.  One of the swedish wine recipes recommended 10 kg spruce tips for 10 litres of wine!!!  null    Our young spruce tips taste a bit sour/herbal and can be really nice to eat as they are.  I think letting them be in the fermenter can bring out some pine taste.

Today I'm fetching the honey. Hoping there will be time for some spruce picking this weekend.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took your advice Christina and did'nt get more spruce tips. Did some homework and changed the recipe. Added lactose for some slight sweetness but maybe it's not going to be noticed. Changed the recipe once again when I felt the lovely smell thinking: "This would be awesome with blueberries!" Checked the freezer and stole my wifes blueberries.  No dessert for me.  

Carbonated Spruce and Blueberry Mead 

• 23 litres 
  • 2,8 kg honey  
  • 710 g frozen spuce tips 
  • 250 g lactose
  • 6 big lemons (1213 g) 
  • 500 g frozen blueberries 
  • 2* Coopers yeast 
  • Edelmans yeast champagne 
  • 23 drops Concentrace (cos I like the taste it give my water)  
  • 2 ml enzyme Zymex pectolase 

12 g Fermaid K → to be portioned 4 g 3 times first week. 

160 g honey for bottling

Boiled water and lactose. Poured it on the sliced lemons, the Coopers yeast and the spruce tips.  
Added the honey, Concentrace and enzyme at 45 °C.   
Added the frozen blueberries. 
Filled fermenter to 25 l and 25 °C, added champagne yeast and aerated. 

granskott blåbär mjöd mäta.jpg

granskott blåbär mjöd.jpg

Edited by der kleine Drache
spelling
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled a litre bottle of my mead out that iv been ageing just - a year and wow the taste is phenomenal! The strength and easy drinking taste wasn't that great the next day thou .. drank more of it then I should of and wow iv never been as hung over as that and I just recently spent a week on Bangalore road.

Disclaimer: I also had 3 long necks with it so I'm not a lightweight haha.

• Haha 1

On 5/25/2018 at 6:34 PM, The Captain!! said:

lets hear about this in 12 months time then.

Good luck matey

Captain

Wow, so good. Light honey aroma, slight acid bite in the after taste. Nice lingering honey flavour after that. Good mouthfeel. Nice warm alcohol.

IMG_20190606_161213.thumb.jpg.d411a14e9ae1d6ad51d6be3873d63a36.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Wow, so good. Light honey aroma, slight acid bite in the after taste. Nice lingering honey flavour after that. Good mouthfeel. Nice warm alcohol.

IMG_20190606_161213.thumb.jpg.d411a14e9ae1d6ad51d6be3873d63a36.jpg

Of course looks sensational. I’m really going to have to do one of these. 

Truely looks bloody fantastic there Ben. And by the sound of your tasting notes, just spot on.