Ben 10

Mead...

Sampled my mead today after reading the recent forum posts about brewing with honey. This has improved immensely! The strong alcohol flavor has died down and the other flavors have come thru nicely.  

20181119_152158.jpg

• Like 2

G'day my fellow mead makers. I put my first mead down a couple of days ago and i was wondering how people bottle them? Do you just use normal beer bottles? Clear bottles? Crown seal or cork?

I used a case of Firestone Walker Union Jack stubbies, pry off crown seal. Oh and one Coopers PET to detect potential explosions over time (looks like no chance of that). 

Cheers, 

John

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 11:51 AM, Ben 10 said:

yummy yummy glass of honey....

Mate yer just unstoppable in the food n bev production!

Pure Gold.

Just laid in some ingredient for a future foray... inspired by you Mead Brewing Legends!

Will have to organise a glass demijohn and bubbler etc..

Question re fancy yeast (that can cope with higher ABV) vs bread yeast - advice anyone?

image.thumb.png.547854d6d2b4878d727ad28b22d44cdb.png

• Like 1

Can use a champagne / cider yeast. Meads incredibly versatile when it comes to which yeast to use and off course how strong you actually want to make your mead.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2019 at 11:51 AM, Ben 10 said:

yummy yummy glass of honey....

IMG_20190108_204922.thumb.jpg.dd960e0eb41369c8978b92b087241a1f.jpg

Benny Brewing Legend - did you use any u-beaut yeast for your magic drop or just throw in a few sultanas and a bit of bread yeast?

Seems like there are all sorts of flash yeasts available - and SC suggest a cider yeast too - what yeast did you use Master Brewer?

Fascinating stuff everyone.  Well my bag of Fermaid O arrived yesterday, so the 4 large jars of honey I have tucked away will be shortly turned into mead!  I don't have a glass carboy but will use a brand new, clean white bucket for my first mead.  If it turns out well and I can continue to get honey from a friend of a friend's hive, then I might invest in a glass carboy, bung, etc.

I had a good read of JAOM, as well as the mead made right page.  Thanks Ben10 and Christina).

I'm going to follow the TOSNA protocol for my first mead.  I have the honey, the nutrient and Mangrove Jack's mead yeast M05 https://mangrovejacks.com/products/mead-m05-yeast-10g).

Simple and hopefully will ferment well, highlight the flavour of the honey.  Here's hoping!

• Like 1