Coopers Community

Mead...

ben 10

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice work Ben!

I'm going to put mine down on Monday night. Just have to figure out how much honey to use in a 9 litre batch. Don't really know the alcohol tolerance of the kit ale / lager yeast slurry I'll be using. Might go for 3kg and see how that turns out.

Cheers, 

John

• Like 1

Missed this post. That’s awesome Ben. Ended nice and dry. It’s a massive drink to have a full stubby and not fall over ha ha ha

Hey John,

ive been listening to the BeerSmith podcast of mead of late. He’s done heaps of interviews with people who make mead. Might be handy for you to have a listen if you haven’t already 

Captain

• 1 month later...

I will be bottling my JAOM when I'm back home, Ben did you have any of this straight away or you still got this cellaring ? My plans are putting down a similar batch after I bottle this one using:

3.5kg Avocado Honey ( local markets sell it)

1 large orange cut into 8 pieces

1 grapefruit cut into 8 pieces

3 cinnamon sticks

40 sultanas

2 cloves

Made to 11Litres, still unsure which yeast I will be using yet.

Any suggestions for yeast or any further additions ?

cheers,

On 8/17/2018 at 6:50 PM, The Captain1525230099 said:

ive been listening to the BeerSmith podcast of mead of late. He’s done heaps of interviews with people who make mead. Might be handy for you to have a listen if you haven’t already 

Thanks Captain. Yep I've listened to them all. Am taking into consideration some, but not all of the tips.

Cheers,

John 

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:39 PM, Ben 10 said:

Lol, mine is long gone. I have another in the cupboard and the other mead I have slowly been sampling.

Haha nice, good to know its yummy straight away! I will more then likely try stow away some in the cupboard and sample some straight away.

• 2 weeks later...

Tasted mine yesterday, been in the FV for around 3 months so far but has finished fermenting. Defiantly agree with your tasting note at around this stage @Ben 10 MASSIVE alcohol flavor! and finished about 14% also. Going to bottle this on the weekend and might even play around with a couple of 500ml bottles and carbonate them. But after making this I can see why you need to put these away for a while to mature and develop.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't checked on mine in a while actually. It's been a couple of months so might be right to bottle up now. It was at 1.010 a few weeks back, so about 13.5% ABV, which is the max alcohol tolerance limit of the yeast. Should have had a bit of a chance to clarify in those few weeks. 

Cheers, 

John

I did 5 x 1 Litre in clear glass bottles and 8 x 250ml in clear glass bottles and was really surprised at the clarity of it even after only being in the bottles for a short time. I'm saving these for a little while just to test over time to see the difference in taste and clarity. If I get around to it I will upload some pics to show. But yeah will 100% do another one of these!

• Like 1

Mine's down to 1.003 now which brings the ABV up to 14.3%. Tastes noticeably less sweet than it did at 1.010, now resembles a dry, savoury white wine (similar to some Marsanne I have had), but with an overlay of the flavour of the honey that started it off. Good stuff! I'm wondering if it will ferment down any further? Surprised it got to this point with the Coopers ale / lager blend kit yeast ... although I did pitch a fair bit and did add nutrient.

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 1

My mead was still at 1.003 and clearing a week later so into bottles it went. Got 20 x 355ml and a 750ml (as a tester just in case fermentation kicks off again). I don't mind if it keeps going a little over time for some sparkle, but somehow I think the yeast is kaput.

So @Ben 10, this got me thinking... when do you drink mead and with what anyway? 

Cheers, 

John

Edited by porschemad911

7 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

when do you drink mead and with what anyway? 

For me it is like port, so whenever you'd drink that. Like after a few beers? Mine has turned a corner - the big batch - and is really nice. Now it's warm up here I'm going to put some in the fridge and have it cold.

• Like 1