Coopers Community

Fail Thread (Mistakes You've Made) 2018

ben 10

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been busy (making entries for this thread).

I have splashed wort on the ceiling and all over the kitchen when using blocks of ice in a partial brew. They slipped out of the container and splashed into my fermenter. Wort all over the ceiling.  scrubbing it at 11 in the night.

I have fed the cows part of my Grainfather after emptying out some spent grain in a paddock. I didn't realise I had done it until I went to brew again the next day. I searched all over the house and could not find the part it. I was starting to get pretty pi$$ed off that I'd either lost it or misplaced it. It had to be in one of two places. and it wasn't. I had a mate over to join in on brew day and did not want to abort so in the end I made it work - kinda. I figured out where it must have been as I was emptying the spent grains into a bucket. Ahhhhh! Of course! I ran down to the paddock and found it there. Too late for brew day but was stoked I'd found it.

I also poured the wrong slurry into a batch of beer. I've got a few in there that I had hoped to use but did not get to brew soon enough after to make use of them. Just hadn't gotten around to getting rid of them. There was also one about 2 weeks old next to them. They ARE labelled but I just picked up the wrong one. No activity after 48 hours so I was a bit concerned. I pitched fresh yeast. Had a krausen by the next morning. Fingers crossed for no ill effects. I have decided it's about time to get rid of the others now.

And finally, a couple of weeks ago, I started pouring the cube into the fermenter while the tap was still open.

This pain, puss and dollars are well worth it, if your ok drinking mega swill or paying high prices for craft beer you can make better 😄 then its *not* worth it. Apart from feeding the cows parts of your grain father f!@# are they still alive?

Its not stopped me from brewing from f!@# ups...  but on reflection its funny...

Tristan

On 11/18/2018 at 8:39 PM, Ben 10 said:

Thanks for your very valuable contribution.... LOVE YOUR WORK!!!!

Hahaha - I do what I can. Usually brew day goes smoothly. I have been racking up a couple of mistakes lately though - as you can see. 

The cows are fine 👍 It was a metal pipe that adjusts according the level of the overflow and grain volume. The cows would have just nudged it out of the way.

The slurry batch is just about ready to bottle. I haven't picked up any off flavours but I won't consider the problem averted until I have one from the bottle.

Crap Homebrew YouTube channel? It'd just be me splashing wort, swearing and looking for missing things. If not informative, it would at least be amusing.

On 11/18/2018 at 4:25 PM, Popo said:

I have splashed wort on the ceiling and all over the kitchen when using blocks of ice in a partial brew. They slipped out of the container and splashed into my fermenter. Wort all over the ceiling.  scrubbing it at 11 in the night.

Yep, always put the ice in the fermenter first and then pour the hot wort over it.

3 hours ago, Popo said:

I did actually do that. It was the thick goo from the can. It went in first, then the ice then the hot wort. The spash was thick. It's still there if you know what to look for haha

Oh haha the I guess my ceiling should be on the alert, although I always dissolve the extract in my boil pot first. 

Not 2 bad of a fail but was walking out of the garage after taking another RIS sample and the bottom of the tester fell off .. rich dark beer on the floor and walls but luckily the hydrometre survived .. did it in front of my little girl and the first thing she said was oooohhh I'm telling mummy then she ran off haha.

• 2 weeks later...

I just failed badly. I kegged 18.5 ltrs latest brew with no problems, and then proceeded to botlle 7 longys ( 7x750ml pet bottles)  and....forgot to add carb drops...&#$%^ shite!!!!!  

Hoping to save them by adding carb drops and new pet lids tommorow ... ??  Have i just wasted my  beer?

can anyone tell me if all is ok.... or have i just l completly pucked up?

regards Guv

Archived