Coopers Community

Fail Thread (Mistakes You've Made) 2018

ben 10

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made an euro lager the other week with saaz and perle, a 10 min boil. At the end my wife tells me we have to go stay at her parents, emergency stuff, so I cool it down to as low as possible, 28-30c. I am hesitant to toss the yeast in but was more worried about infection if I don't pitch the yeast for 2 days...so I tossed it in. The batch was dumped today because it smelled medicinal and had a twangy taste. sick

Temp control is what I need!

Ah learning, or just my stupidity, your call.

Norris

First fail was due to me messing about on beersmith and not undoing my alterations and ended up with 3kg more malt than what i required all of it was amber malt and ended up in the brew as i got everything milled and in one bag when purchased first oops... i weighed out 3kg and brewed it anyway tastes nasty.

Second i think is due to not having my equipment profile in beersmith set up right. Didn't hit my numbers and ended up a mid strength somehow. Brewday was a bit of a mess as my volumes didn't add up to the equipment and had boil overs etc.

Anyway getting a masterclass this weekend so should be sorting through my faults and improving from here on in

I can add one here.

I bought an all grain kit a while ago on the spur of the moment at a closing down sale.

It included the hops and the following schedule:

10g Pacific Jade @60

25g Cascade @0

25g Motueka @0

10g Nelson Sauvin @0

50g Cascade @Whirlpool

20g Nelson @ Whirlpool

20g Riwaka @ Whirlpool

50g Cascade Dry Hop

20g Nelson Sauvin Dry Hop

10g Riwaka Dry Hop

10g Motueka Dry Hop

Well over 200 grams of hops. I had been quite looking forward to tasting this one. I chilled one down yesterday for a sneaky taste. I got nothing. It's a bland, boring beer. Not undrinkable but not much flavour or aroma to the beer at all. The hops were old and stored without refrigeration. I didn't give it a thought at the time - but should have considering the box was sitting on a shelf. I can't see myself wanting to drink too much of it.

The lure of the bargain.

A few brews ago, I was way too tired from a big week at work, to be brewing beer.

Got my water up to temp in my Biab urn system.

Poored half the grain in without the bloody bag. Poored it all into the compost and went to bed for a few hours.

Got some more grain the next day and brewed successfully that day.

Cheers

Captain

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

First all grain brew day with Robbo and I thought I would use my stainless strainer when transferring wort from boiler to FV.

Thought  I would sanitise it  by immersing the basket in the boiling wort for 10 minutes.

Lost hold of the strainer and it sunk to the bottom of the boil, and couldn't fish it out cos the immersion chiller was in there getting its 10 minute sterilisation treatment as well.

Doh!

Cheers

James

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

Today I formatted my GoPro before taking yesterday's brew day footage off of it ... ?

The fail that hurts all of us! Sorry to hear King Rudd and it just means you'll have to type it out on the brewery thread and/or brew again!

27 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

What were the ingredients and batch volume?

1.7kg Thomas Cooper brew A IPA

1kg Coopers Light Dry Malt extract

100g caramel Pilsner grains cracked and boiled with...

40g mandarina Bavaria hop pellets in boil

11.5g safale us05 dry yeast plus Coopers included yeast

23L brew volume.

Does anyone else get so focused on watching their wort hit a boil and then get so fascinated watching it churn around that they forget to take note of what time the boil actually started? At 10:42pm last night I realized I had no idea exactly when my boil had started ... I think it was around 10 minutes prior to that! Can't have been too far off since my post-boil volume was pretty much spot on.

2 hours ago, XR6Graham said:

1.7kg Thomas Cooper brew A IPA

1kg Coopers Light Dry Malt extract

100g caramel Pilsner grains cracked and boiled with...

40g mandarina Bavaria hop pellets in boil

11.5g safale us05 dry yeast plus Coopers included yeast

23L brew volume.

I'd say the 1.042 would be the OG for that then. Pretty low for an IPA but should turn out a nice drop. 

Hope the grains weren't actually boiled though.

John, no I haven't done that, but I don't time it like that anyway. I just set a timer and start it when the wort breaks through the foam on top. It is interesting to watch it though I'll agree there!

Cheers

Kelsey

6 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'd say the 1.042 would be the OG for that then. Pretty low for an IPA but should turn out a nice drop. 

Hope the grains weren't actually boiled though.

John, no I haven't done that, but I don't time it like that anyway. I just set a timer and start it when the wort breaks through the foam on top. It is interesting to watch it though I'll agree there! 

Cheers

Kelsey

Yep that makes more sense than my current method. Haha that is the way I used to do it (on one of those Aldi gingerbread man fridge magnet timers). Unfortunately my baby has played with that timer so much the battery ran out and I haven't got down to Jaycar to grab a couple of LR44's yet.

Have any of you tried using the timers in beersmith? I love them! So easy, only complaint is that the alarm isn't particularly loud.

I've also used a multi timer app on my iPhone and the good old countdown timer on my watch and set it for 50min, 5min, 5min, etc. Old school but at least the timer in with me wherever I go 

Don't have the beersmith app on my phone Jools, I just use the built in clock on it. I can set multiple countdowns too. I usually set timers for a couple of minutes before hop additions so I have time to weigh them, that way they don't have to sit out in the air for any  length of time, works well.

Same kelsey I use beersmith timer on the laptop. I don't have the app either. Computer works well as it won't be far from my brewing area. Usually inside,where I am whilst mash/boil etc is happening

Archived