Coopers Community

Asperiment 2: Dirty Blonde

Me Old Mate

Patiently waiting for Og's oppositionally defiant response....

...come on, don't let me down Og.

Seriously though me old mate, the advice is helpful and the intentions are pure (we're talking better beer, what's purer than that?) but of course it can be fun to just muck around, and have a laugh while you're doing it. So go nuts.

Lusty, Otto, you're advice has helped me improve many a brew, keep it coming. Og's witty rejoinders are an added bonus for the smartarse in all of us!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, tasting it now after a few weeks in the bottle, it simultaneously is, and isn't, exactly what I was aiming for. Think Tracy from Eastbound and Down. A bit sour. Probably needs a while more in the bottle. Or something. Um. Hmm. I'll give it until May to wake up to itself.

now im relatively new these here shores' date=' but isnt the term 'old mate' someone you actually never want to be your [u']old mate [/u]

Hahha I was thinking the same thing Paddy! Me Old Mate, OG, or whatever, keep at it. You know what you want to drink, you just have to fine tune it some. Enjoy the journey.

Norris

G'day Og,

In my experience you will get objectively better beer if you stick to a few simple rules: eg cleanliness and sanitation, simple recipes with the right balance of ingredients, fermenting at the right temperature.

But as long as you're enjoying yourself and learn something from from every batch, you're on the right track. After all, home brewing is a hobby and if you're having fun then that's the main thing!

Cheers,

John

• 2 months later...

Well after months now it's the nastiest thing what I ever drank.

"infected" is like saying world war one was a stubbed toe. This is literally bottled pus, and not in a good way either. It's like if you got all the junky moles from Dapto and soaked them in seawater for a week and then squeezed em out, dried em in the sun and then made beer from that. Not ideal.

I blame that guy who told me to wash the things, making me have to defy him by seeing what happens when you don't. No consideration whatsoever.

Nek question, how do u wash em, is a dishwasher ok for them platic bottles

Well, now you know ?

I'd try soaking everything in sodium percarbonate first. If that doesn't work you might need to nuke everything in chlorine bleach. If you go that route, just make sure it's all thoroughly rinsed out because otherwise you'll risk having beers that taste like chlorine/bandaids instead of sour.

Hey OG, is that short for original Gangster? Anyways it is a cool nickname either way. What do you have in mind for your next brew? It seems like you like big beers? How about something easier but filled with flavour and aroma?

1 Mex cerveza for bitterness mainly, use whatever kit you have a liking too. I like the cerveza because it is clean and whatever I add to it shines through.

250g of wheat malt. this will add body and help with head retention.

750g of malt

250g of dextrose to help keep it easy drinking, but up to you.

Take 4.5 liters of water and add 500g of the malt and bring to a boil. turn off heat and add 25g of centennial and 25g of another hop to compliment the centennial, like Amarillo or a hop you like and let sit for 10 minutes then actively cool the wort.

strain the hops while you pour the wort into the fermenter add the can of goo and the remaining malt top up with cool water to 16 to 18c and toss in yeast. After FG is reached add same amount of hops for 3 to 4 days.  Then bottle.

I was just thinking that maybe if you got a nice tasty brew under your belt you could then keep experimenting while having something to drink.

Good luck,

Norris

Archived