Coopers Community

Asperiment 2: Dirty Blonde

Me Old Mate

I made this one up just now with some cheap tins they were getting rid of at coles because they had been dinted.

I call it

devilDirty Blonde devil

Tins of goo:

Canadian Blonde +

Bootmaker Pale Ale

Red Boxes of Coopers magic beer Powder:

1kg Brew Enhancifier 3

500g Light Malt Extract

Stirred in a sinistro-rotary fashion until most bits gone using the big white plastic spoon.

Both yeast sachets bunged in on top.

Oh yeah and obviously filtered tap water

And absolutely nothing else.

I hope the dry pitched yeast can handle all that malt... whistling

Never met a Canadian I didn't like. Or a bootmaker for that matter. Especially the kind of boots I have in mind for a Canadian blonde.

If it can't handle the malt, I'll just re-bung extra wet aggro yeast next week. If it turns out sweet, that'll make it more Canadian.

Oooh now i get to press the "submit" button....

Got me wondering whether I'm missing something special with this sinistro-rotary action. I usually stick to dextro-rotation with the odd bit of levo-rotation to prevent stir-arm-boredom.

But sinistro sounds like I could add a cape or some broodingly dark background music...

...will be keeping my eye this for the end results.

Preview button? Fark that, submit.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how it is going. Seemed ok, wort still tastes pretty sweet though. I wet-bunged Nottingham yeast in after 10 days of the other two yeast packs having a chew. But testing the SG over recent days it appeared to go from 18 to 19 to 20 and is now hovering around 20 and 19. Then again it is liquid so hard to see exactly. But still, it seems a bit high for a finished brew. And is meant to go down. That's the problem with measuring stuff, sometimes it says the wrong thing, but then it's real and is too late to un-know.

Should I wet-bung the other half of the pack of Nottingham in there?

Given the amount of fermentables in it I'd be surprised if it dropped much further than where it is now. Raise the temp a bit and see what happens before you throw more yeast at it. The high ABV probably stuffed the new yeast anyway.

Maybe it'd be better to brew some more conventional recipes while you get used to the processes and whatnot rather than going straight for these wacky beers that may or may not turn out anyway tongue

Now look here, Mister Scientist. I made 10 brews, all perfect, pure instinkt, with zero measuring or "numbers" involved, all seasons, all known historic periods. Og earn place in mammoth hunt. Based on all the normal ones plus the first asperiment, which remains the greatest achievement of our race, I make new one. New one hard. Og keep try. I wet-bunged the yeast (ambient temps between 24 and some other numbers that come after that one) and, based on similar recipes in the eponymous section of this website, that have identical amounts of goo and powder, but final SG's of 10, I would be surprised if it isn't meant to go lower than 20. Then again, numbers are just made up, and I probably should pay no attention to them like i did for the first 10 bruise, and instead just bung stuff together and let it rot, as nature, and Og, intends.

Well it's your brewery. We're all different I guess, personally I wouldn't be wasting money on something that has an even chance of turning out drain cleaner as drinkable beer. Experimenting is fun no doubt, but it does increase the chance of success if you know a bit about what you're doing rather than just throwing random ingredients together and hoping for the best. cool

I think there's something about Coopers tins that invites wacky asperimentation.

All the stuff about toucans seems to turn into a competition to see who can make the most insane stout known to humankind. I remember reading one toucan stout recipe where the dude threw a whole bottle of Kraken in the day before bottling tongue

Keep up the brewing Og, and relish the glory or suffering that will come with drinking the finished product. I'm thinking this latest one will lean towards suffering, but I'm cursed with a sensitive palette tongue

Well it's your brewery. We're all different I guess' date=' personally I wouldn't be wasting money on something that has an even chance of turning out drain cleaner as drinkable beer. Experimenting is fun no doubt, but it does increase the chance of success if you know a bit about what you're doing rather than just throwing random ingredients together and hoping for the best. [img']cool[/img]

Correct.

I haven't wasted a cent. There's a thing called learning. After ten brews and a few gambles that were surprisingly nice, Og think Og know what he doing with beer. Og look in recipe part of forum, Og ask question on internet. Og learn. Now Og smart, Og not throw random ingredients together, Og throw ingredients together that basically resemble several recipes published on the official recipes section, but did so before he consulted it, meaning great minds think alike, or perhaps reality is the same for everyone, even if, as you say, we're all different.

Og.

For the record - I did in fact re-wet-bung the rest of the Nottingham yeast in on Tuesdy night. Had a bit of a taste late Thursday, seems to have done the trick. The sweetness has gone down and developed into a rich, complex flavour with a bit more fizz. I reckon it will turn out nice, ay.

Trust me, there's a lot more to be learned than what 10 brews will teach you. I've done over 100 brews and I know a hell of a lot more now than what I did after 10 brews, but I'm still learning more about the craft.

At the end of the day if you're happy with your beers then that's the main thing, even if they are a bit out there tongue

Hello Me Old Mate.

This brew of yours certainly has a few people talking! It's definitely interesting. cool

Personally, I think you have enough unhopped malt/sugar ingredients on top of the two pre-hopped kits that it could actually turn out a nice balanced beer. End flavours will be interesting, & I among more than a few here on the forum will be interested in your thoughts of that once it's suitably aged & on the pour.

Oh... & your fascination of "re-wetting the bung" constantly has been noted. Don't worry, your secret is safe with me. wink

biggrin

I'm one of those here on the forum that encourage experimentation. I hope it turns out a nice drop for you.

Lusty.

Trust me' date=' there's a lot more to be learned than what 10 brews will teach you. I've done over 100 brews and I know a hell of a lot more now than what I did after 10 brews, but I'm still learning more about the craft.

At the end of the day if you're happy with your beers then that's the main thing, even if they are a bit out there [img']tongue[/img]

Explain why they are "out there", when the ingredient list is almost identical to any number of recipes published in the strong Recipes section of the Coopers website?

I have no doubt that there is more to learn, but if someone has made 10 brews, I wouldn't go telling them to wait "until they know what they're doing", simply because their epistemology or teleology is unfamiliar to you at this stage in your development, in particular (but not to most of the human race between the first and ninth ice ages, during which learning fast actually mattered more than it does now, and we got through them without maths).

Og

Hello Me Old Mate.

This brew of yours certainly has a few people talking! It's definitely interesting. cool

Personally' date=' I think you have enough unhopped malt/sugar ingredients on top of the two pre-hopped kits that it could actually turn out a nice balanced beer. End flavours will be interesting, & I among more than a few here on the forum will be interested in your thoughts of that once it's suitably aged & on the pour.

Oh... & your fascination of "re-wetting the bung" constantly has been noted. Don't worry, your secret is safe with me. [img']wink[/img]

biggrin

I'm one of those here on the forum that encourage experimentation. I hope it turns out a nice drop for you.

Lusty.

Thank you Sir for your kind wishes towards my extremely conservative asperiment that is a direct result of thrift, filthy thoughts, and positive geopolitical stereotyping.

Another swig last night, she's well on track devil - a loverly caramelly thing going on now, a satisfying boozy progression from the sweetness of only a few days ago, the filthiest blonde colour that is gradually getting lighter, as well as a delightful, ditzy fluffiness (the taste equivalent of a "blonde moment", rather endearing) in the mouth, and a grunty "in-heat" kick. It's like Kenny Powers' bint in Eastbound and Down. This one is DTF. I'll send you a bottle if you like, once it's done. I'm rather proud of it - given time in the bottle it will almost certainly be everything I was worried about.

The yeast is the thing, I reckon. If brews go to sleep, find fresh yeast. It's alive, except when it has packed it in. The kits from shops are probably stored badly. Do you work when stored badly? Exactly.

Here's to beers that deserve our lust.

Og

This one might not be particularly 'out there' but some of them have been.

Given you had to throw more yeast at it twice suggests you didn't pitch enough at the start, and the dry pitching wouldn't have done the yeast any good either, since that can kill up to half of it on pitching. Try a yeast calculator to work out approximately how much to pitch, and re-hydrate dry yeasts in plain water before pitching them - you will have a much greater chance of the initial pitched yeast finishing the job without having to throw any more at it later on. Like you said, the yeast is the thing, look after it and you'll get the desired results every time cool

This one might not be particularly 'out there' but some of them have been.

Given you had to throw more yeast at it twice suggests you didn't pitch enough at the start' date=' and the dry pitching wouldn't have done the yeast any good either, since that can kill up to half of it on pitching. Try a yeast calculator to work out approximately how much to pitch, and re-hydrate dry yeasts in plain water before pitching them - you will have a much greater chance of the initial pitched yeast finishing the job without having to throw any more at it later on. Like you said, the yeast is the thing, look after it and you'll get the desired results every time [img']cool[/img]

Beer predates calculators by literally trillions of years.

I have no intention of ever using numbers of any kind for anything, ever, especially food, especially drug food, especially liquid drug food which is what beer is.

I am in no way inconvenienced by learning through experience (as opposed to expectation) that throwing Nottingham at anything after two (or whatever is the most fashionable number lately) weeks or however long it was since you forgot that you bunged stuff to rot in a plastic tub will result in renewed brewing along with no problems and a delicious flavour.

In fact, on contrary, Og edified.

I bottled her today. One box was deliberately over-sugared to see what happens. I reckon it will be screamy

Og

Hi Me Old Mate. smile

Beer predates calculators by literally trillions of years.

Not quite' date=' but I love the ideal that it might be true. [img']lol[/img]

I have no intention of ever using numbers of any kind for anything' date=' ever, especially food, especially drug food, [i']especially[/i] liquid drug food which is what beer is.

With all due respect meant, then get used to drinking beer you have worked hard to brew that you can drink & enjoy, coupled with beer you will tip down the sink.

I am in no way inconvenienced by learning through experience (as opposed to expectation) that throwing Nottingham at anything after two (or whatever is the most fashionable number lately) weeks or however long it was since you forgot that you bunged stuff to rot in a plastic tub will result in renewed brewing along with no problems and a delicious flavour.

Nottingham is an extremely reliable & aggressive yeast strain that ferments well' date=' attenuates very well, & has a high tolerance to alcohol hence why it was suggested for you in your situation.

We currently have a really good bunch of blokes & sheilas here on the forum that wish the best for ALL the brewers here on the forum & offer advice as such. You strike me as a very learn-ed man so sift your way through those opinions & thoughts by others to form your own conclusion(s).

Just know the advice & comments come from a good place by brewers that are already on YOUR team. [img']wink[/img]

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Well, you can do whatever you like mate, but the advice is based on experience and what works. If you want consistency in your beers then you will need to start paying more attention to ingredients, such as the amount of yeast pitched for the OG and volume of your recipes. When I started doing that, things became much more predictable and I am never having to go and pitch more yeast after a week or two because the first lot gave up. Doesn't mean I brew the same old recipe all the time, it just means I can be confident that the brew will ferment in the expected timeframe to the expected SG, whatever it happens to be.

You're right that brewing existed long before measurements of anything to do with it did, but I would be comfortable in guessing that the quality of those brews was shithouse compared to what can be brewed today with the vastly improved knowledge of brewing, and the vastly improved processes for it that we have now.

If you want unpredictability and risking tipping batches down the sink (or risk bottles exploding by over priming, why you'd want to do that is a mystery in itself) under the guise of 'learning' rather than listening to advice from far more experienced brewers, by all means carry on. But don't expect people to keep offering advice to help you improve when it continually falls on deaf ears.

Archived