Coopers Community

18l kit brew SG issues

Don14

Hi all

Onto my 3rd brew now, first couple worked a treat so went for somethig a bit different being a kilkenny clone gearing up for winter, 1.5kg eng bitter extract, 500g maltodextrin, 150g crystal grain, and some finishing hops. Recipe was only 18l so og was at 1.066, been fermenting for 9 days now at temp 23-24, but is stuck at 1.026. Is this normal and finished due to being only an 18l kit (obviously will be denser), or should it still be coming down to around 1.010? Currwnt alc is 5.25% which sounds about right from that aspect? Cheers

I have found all of the kit recipes I have done the FG has never gone below 1.020.

I have done a few fresh wort kits and they have gone down to 1.010 - 1.008.

So I'm not sure if it's common for kits not to reach a low FG but that's my experience.

Hi Don14.

...1.5kg eng bitter extract' date=' 500g maltodextrin, 150g crystal grain,[/quote']

Are you sure that was all the ingredients? unsure You would need approx. another 1.5kg of LME to hit the 1.066 OG mark.

The combination of all that maltodextrin in a reduced volume brew would certainly be adding to the final gravity of the beer. If your recipe does include another 1.5kg light liquid malt, then my brewing calculator suggests your current SG is spot on what is expected for a final gravity given those ingredients at that ferment volume.

I know it's not much help to you atm, but if you ever have a crack at brewing a Kilkenny clone again, perhaps try the following recipe.

Coopers DIY recipe: Hop Gobbler

In my time on the forum this recipe has received very good reviews by those home brewers that have brewed it. wink

Good luck with your current brew.

Lusty.

Yeah... something's definitely not right with the numbers. Just wondering why you say 1.5kg English Bitter? The can is actually 1.7kg. unsure But either way combined with those other ingredients you mention you'd be looking at an OG less than 1.040. If you measured 1.066 then it was maybe not stirred well enough! And, also as suggested with that much maltodextrin I don't think it's going to attenuate below 1.015 ish.

If the ingredients are as you say they are then it'll be a sub 3% ABV brew. pouty

I have found all of the kit recipes I have done the FG has never gone below 1.020.
Curious. Mine always finish much lower than that. My Coopers can + can of extract brews usually finish at 1.010 - 1.012. I usually brew partials but I did a couple of quick Coopers + extract brews recently and the current one seems to have finished at 1.011 the previous one was 1.010.

cool

Archived