Coopers Community

Yeast for English Mild

Rowbrew

That's true too. I seem to have mixed experience with FG samples and the beer in the glass. Sometimes the finished beer isn't much different to the FG samples but other times it does vary a fair bit. Pale ales in particular usually taste more bitter at FG sampling time than they do once chilled and carbonated. I've also had a couple of batches of my red ale that seemed ok at FG time but then once in the glass were too sweet, despite carbonation being present. On the other hand I've had lagers taste a little on the sweet side but this goes away once carbonated. All part of the fun! lol

completely agree here lads. one of the tastiest FG samples I had turned out to be super-phenolic once bottled. It was fine at bottling time, but terrible after 2 weeks. Didn't improve after 6 months so I emptied and cleaned the bottles. very, very strange.

I find that hop flavour and aroma can change from FG sample to glass too. I found that once I went to all-grain that the "fresh grain" flavour carried through well. Similarly, when I scorched the wort once when adding heat to a mash that flavour was apparent all the way through and didn't transform from FV to glass.

Archived