Coopers Community

Yeast for English Mild

Rowbrew

Ive got S04, WLP001, and WLP008 on hand, but i was thinking more like Danstar's London ESB or Notty or Windsor. I have used S04 once and i didnt really like the beer it produced. But it could have been the malt or hops i used too contributing to a mediocre beer

Cheers Scottie, i was leaning more towards the ESB yeast but i have read a few reviews and they all say that it finishes with a very high FG. Now do you think because of my low OG of 1.033 it probably wont finish ridiculously high? Im just a little worried because i mashed so high too. I am probably looking for an FG of about 1.012ish

I used Windsor in an English Mild that I mashed at 69-70 degrees and it finished a bit too high (around 1020).

I am planning on making one shortly using either Wyeast 1028 London Ale or Wyeast 1318 London Ale III.

With your yeast on hand I think you should go with Danstar London ESB.

68 isn't that high. Milds are usually mashed around 70.

Just saying that its too high for using Windsor. I steer away from Windsor for my mid strengths as it finishes too high' date=' given my full body mash temperature.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

[i']Valley Brew[/i]

Windsor and ESB are similar in that neither one ferments maltotriose. I have tried them both and prefer the ESB. Personally I don't pay too much attention to the FG. I go by the taste, and the ESB tastes good.

WLP001 and 008 aren't appropriate for English milds. Personally I am not a fan of the S-04 flavour, which is bread-y, but it would be an appropriate alternative. Some people like it.

Cheers,

Christina.

It has only been around 36 hours or there abouts, and the krausen has fallen already! It even looks like it is starting to clear up a little. I was curious so i took a reading and its sitting at 1.016 from 1.034. I sure hope that its not done yet, i know i wanted it to finish high, but bugger me! Theres no way it could be finished in a day and a half could it? I think i just need to RDWHAHB!

Cheers!

If it is in fact done, the attenuation rate of the yeast is about 53% Morgans dont have any sort of information like that about their yeast, it just says that it finishes high. Now do you think that my high-ish mash temp, the use of CaraAroma and this yeast is all contributing to this FG? If so, i guess ill just put this down to experience because at the moment, it is way too sweet and not bitter enough for my liking sad

Just saying that its too high for using Windsor. I steer away from Windsor for my mid strengths as it finishes too high' date=' given my full body mash temperature.[/quote']

I've never even thought about that! Going to file that one away in my brain somewhere for future reference I reckon. Now, where'd I put my brain ...

I just took another reading and it is still at 1.016. The FG wouldnt really bother me if it were more bitter. Its only 26 IBU, but tastes like 10! The flavour is ok, but it seems very watery too. Could that be because there isn't alot of malt in the recipe?

Sorry mate, it was

2kg Bairds pale malt

500g Munich

150g CaraAroma

30g Acid malt

25g Willamette FWH 60 min boil (4.7%AA)

1 Pack Morgans English Ale yeast

60 min mash at 68°C

16.5 litres into FV

1.034 OG

26.2 IBU

Seems strange that it's watery at that SG, maybe it's just because it's flat. Carbonation and a creamy head adds mouthfeel as well.

Anyway, if you do pitch another strain of yeast to try to get a lower FG, be sure to re-hydrate it first. Dry pitching in to beer (rather than wort) pretty much kills it and while it will become nutrient for the existing yeast, that yeast obviously isn't gonna bring it down any further! cool

Yeah true, i guess the fact its flat could make it seem watery. Cheers Kelsey. I pitched some Coopers ale yeast this morning, rehydrated of course. Hopefully it brings it down a couple of points, if not, oh well. It is what it is. Thanks for all your help everyone. I will post back here once its in the glass and ive had a taste test

Cheers

Archived