Coopers Community

FOUR 'N' TWENTY Craft Beer Pies

Ulyssian27

Hi All,

Has anyone else tried these pies. There's a few different flavours. I grabbed the pepper beef and stout. Loved them. I found them in Woolworths.

Four N Twenty have teamed up with Gippsland Craft Beer Company Grand Ridge Brewery, and have created,

Pepper Beef and Dark Stout

Smoky Style Beef with Pale Ale &

Classic Beef with Golden Ale.

Think I'll be taking pies to work for lunch. Gonna have to try them all.

I actually bought these last week when I was wandering through Coles. they were on special and there was a NEW sticker on them, so I got a 4-pack. I got the one with Golden Ale.

My honest review: tasted like any other Four n Twenty pie (i.e. not good). Couldn't pick any Golden Ale flavours in there. Won't buy again.

If I do go for a frozen pie, the premium ones (that only come in 2-packs) are much better. Like Fergy, a real pie should use chunks of beef (with mince is OK, but not all mince). Herbert Adams make a good pie, probably the best you can buy from a supermarket. Although I did get these Mrs Macs pies that were not pre-cooked and took ages in the oven. They were nice.

My local pub does a classic beef and Guiness pie and you can actually taste the beer in the gravy. I suspect Four n Twenty just waved a beer past the production line and spent the money on marketing and packaging!

... what were you expecting?

Well having been brought up on 'meat pies' in Australia which were often more like a gravy capsule than even a pie containing mince, it was a shock (a pleasant one) to find large chunks of steak packed together in a pastry casing separated by only the merest hint of a meat sauce. It was more like a Beef Wellington than an Australian pie.

It left such an impression on me I can still 'see' the shop and its surrounds in my mind even though it was probably 30 years ago!

I was left thinking, "oh so THAT'S a meat pie, rather than a mince, gristle and gravy pie".

I actually bought these last week when I was wandering through Coles. they were on special and there was a NEW sticker on them' date=' so I got a 4-pack. I got the one with Golden Ale.

My honest review: tasted like any other Four n Twenty pie (i.e. not good). Couldn't pick any Golden Ale flavours in there. Won't buy again.

If I do go for a frozen pie, the premium ones (that only come in 2-packs) are much better. Like Fergy, a real pie should use chunks of beef (with mince is OK, but not all mince). Herbert Adams make a good pie, probably the best you can buy from a supermarket.[/quote']

I agree with you on the Herbert Adams 2-pack pie. I haven't tried the golden ale pie but I really enjoyed the pepper beef with stout.

• 1 month later...

I never got around to trying these pies but last night my wife and I made our own pies. I smoked 2 beef cheeks for 3 hours and then put them in the slow cooker with my own IPA, salt, pepper and garlic. Once they were cooked in the slow cooker they were left to cool a bit and put in pastry and the wife put them in our pie cooker.

The final result was..............Pretty good!!

For my first attempt at a pie made from scratch I was very happy and I will definitely make them again!!

Youngie

PS just happened to buy a 4pk of Four N Twenty Peppered Beef Pie With Dark Stout 4pk for my son (half price $4.35).

If/when I try one I'll report back.

I haven't tried one yet but my son 15 year old son has. "Not bad" was his verdict.

If you know my son or teenagers in general "Not bad" probably equates to a similar response to the one in this Aldi advert:

• 2 weeks later...

PS just happened to buy a 4pk of Four N Twenty Peppered Beef Pie With Dark Stout 4pk for my son (half price $4.35).

If/when I try one I'll report back.

I haven't tried one yet but my son 15 year old son has. "Not bad" was his verdict.

If you know my son or teenagers in general "Not bad" probably equates to a similar response to the one in this Aldi advert:

Don't want to overdo it but I just noticed that the earlier version of this post didn't register. Don't have a clue why that would be.

Archived