Sign in to follow this  
Phoenix76

Cider

G'day y'all, haven't been around much lately, but been busy trying to make a dollar.

Anyway, the subject of making cider as a homebrew has been discussed many times on the forum. That includes submissions from myself. The major problem as I understood it was that our homemade cider was too bitter. Very understanding as the yeast will eat up all the lovely sugares in your apple juice. My attempts were with apple juice bought from my local Aldi. I like a dry cider, but even I have to admit, this cider was a bit over the top.

I remember reading about a Mango Wine on the forum, and still have the recipe somewhere. Well was in Aldi, as usual, and saw some Mango Juice. 2Lt bottles at about $1.89 each. Actually they were 90% Apple Juice and 10% Mango Juice.

Well thought I would give this a try. A box of 6 bottles gives me 12 lt. So first up I tipped that 12 lt into the FV and then topped it up to 15 lt. Why 15lt? I think it relates to a recipe I have somewhere. I just used ordinary beer yeast. In fact it was SO4. I used Coopers brewing sugar. Well the result was amazing. Still dry but with that little bit of sweetness. By the way, it was about 7.5% ABV.

Made another one and it was the same, so I guess it proves the recipe.

Well just did it again, but used a packet of BE2. Also used US05, just what I had in the fridge. Sitting here drinking it now, and I'm amazed. A lot sweeter than previous, but still with that dry finish I look for. The first two bottles I opened were heavy in trub. I have a "bad" habit of draining my FV as much as possible. Guess I'm a tight wad.

Well I can report that those bottles with a lot of trub were like drinking a Mango Puree, with a kick. I liked them, but can't guarantee y'all will feel the same. But can say for sure, I will get another box of juice this week and make another batch.

Actually took a couple or three bottles down to Brisbane last trip, and my mate, female, loved it. She did comment that she could feel the alcohol in her sinuses. At 7.5%, I don't doubt it.

So there you go people, where there is a will, there is a way. And Christina, one for you to think about.

Cheers all

Bill

Just by the way.

Apples have carb content of 14%, whilst Mango is 15%.

I don't understand the chemistry here, not my field, but those figures suggest there is little difference in the two when it come to sweetness. But when you compare the taste, Mangos are much sweeter tan Apples.

In the words of Pauline Hanson, "Please Explain"!

Probably different sugar makeup between the two or maybe (probably) apples contain more acid than mangoes. Carbs aren't necessarily sweet anyway. Pasta for example isn't sweet if you were to eat it by itself, and it's full of them.

In the words of Pauline Hanson' date=' "Please Explain"![/quote']

Acidity and tannins in the apple dude.

As for mango, yum, I should do it. I had HEAPS of mangoes but ate them all. Two tubs from a mate this year.

Made mango cider the other year and really enjoyed it. I will get back to ciders when the kegs are ready to go.

Yes, I think Ben is right. Mangos are not very acidic or tannins and so are a good addition to apple cider.

Another fruit that fits the bill is bananas. When I made my banana wine I let them get very spotty, so they were about 50% brown, which took about 10 days; the purpose of that is for the starches to convert to sugar. Then pop them in the freezer for a few days, which ruptures the cell wall. After that I zapped them (whole) at power 100 for 2-3 minutes, squeezed them out of their peel, and blended up the fresh in my blender. The more banana you add, the more you will taste them. One or two bananas per 4L won't affect the taste much but will improve mouthfeel and body. Adding more than that and you will start to notice them....Depending on how many bananas you use, you may end up with a fruit cap on top of the must. This should be stirred down twice a day until the airlock stops bubbling. Eventually the bananas will fall to the bottom, but it may take a while. If you slice instead of liquify the bananas they might fall sooner, but you will get fewer sugars from them.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 1

Hi PHOENIX76 , how much Coopers Brewing Sugar did you use in your cider posted on Feb 6 and is this sugar the same as dextrose , I am new to home brewing so not sure on sugars cheers

1 hour ago, Bevan Stokes said:

Hi PHOENIX76 , how much Coopers Brewing Sugar did you use in your cider posted on Feb 6 and is this sugar the same as dextrose , I am new to home brewing so not sure on sugars cheers

I make Cider from the Aldi juice too.

I no longer add sugar or dextrose to my cider. I add between half and a whole jar of Aldi honey.
That's to 12 litres of juice.

What recipe were you thinking of trying?

Edited by Graculus