Coopers Community

Coopers Beer Kit - Yeast

PB2

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PB2, could you please supply us with the average attenuation of the various kit yeasts, that is

1.) Coopers ale yeast

2.) blended ale/lager yeast(s)

3.) pure lager yeast(s)

4.) wheat kit yeast

5.) Irish stout kit yeast

This information is key in trying to predict expected FG. Since I don't have a tap on my fermenter (I use a glass carboy), I don't like to take repeated gravity samples to check if it is stable, as is generally recommended. This is because I would have to use a wine thief to obtain the sample, which risks contaminating the brew (which is also why I don't check OG). The method I have been using to determine if fermentation is complete is to see if I have hit expected FG on bottling day. I am using Ian's spread sheet to figure out the expected FG, but it only provides a generic percentage (same percentage for all the kits), which I feel sure is not accurate....I have had some issues where my bottles have been a bit under or over-primed, not bottle bombs, but close. I would like to some more accurate numbers please.

Thanks a bunch! smile

You could do what I do with my lagers and take an SG sample about 3/4 of the way through the fermentation, then leave the hydrometer in it and let it ferment out (if the temp is warm enough of course). This I find gives a pretty good idea of what the FG is. I still take proper FG samples anyway but I do have the tap style fermenter.

• 1 month later...
You could do what I do with my lagers and take an SG sample about 3/4 of the way through the fermentation' date=' then leave the hydrometer in it and let it ferment out (if the temp is warm enough of course). This I find gives a pretty good idea of what the FG is. I still take proper FG samples anyway but I do have the tap style fermenter.[/quote']

Kelsey, that is ingenious! Thanks for the suggestion. kissing

Archived