Coopers Community

'Dont fear the foam' they said

Paddybrew

Im just after taking receipt of my 500 ml of Stellar San i ordered on ebay. After reading much on here and youtube about sanitisation and 'dont fear the foam' , i had it in my head that this was a harmless sanitiser that you spray on your FV and utensils, bottles etc. On Youtube ive often seen our favourite homebrewers tip the wort from a pot into a foam filled, recently sanitissed FV.

All is good i thought!!

Until i read the back of the package

''do not inhale or ingest''

''corrosive'' (skull and cross bones)

''If ingested ring 1800 POISON''

Fck me i thought, Hans Blix shouldnt have been looking for WMD in Iraq, its found in every homebrewers cellars

Can someone allay my fears here

It's probably referring to the concentrated solution which is in the 500mL bottle you have. Starsan has similar warnings on it. Yes it can be corrosive, it's highly acidic in concentrated form.

Once it's mixed up in water at the proper rate (I'm guessing 1.5mL per litre of water as that's the Starsan rate), it's fine. I still wouldn't drink it diluted, mainly because it would probably taste like crap, but the itsy bitsy amount that ends up in the beer won't cause any harm.

lollol Sorry mate. The missus is watching that bloody stupid married at first sight crap so I'm taking the opportunity to do some night time forum reading and posting.

By the way, I have spilled undiluted Starsan on my hands a few times without any issue. It might do some damage if left there for a while but it was rinsed off pretty well straight away.

Archived