Coopers Community

No Chill Pacific Ale Suggestions

G'day Brewers,

I bought a bit of Galaxy to give an all grain Stone and Wood Pacific Ale a go. I have read through a quite a few recipes but am a bit unsure about the hop schedule if I am going to no chill in a cube. I'm keen to avoid the harsh bitterness that people talk of with galaxy. It's got me a bit scared haha.

If anyone has a schedule - or recipe - that's worked well for them no chilling I'd be grateful.

Cheers!

That works well.

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.052 SG

Estimated Color: 10.5 EBC

Estimated IBU: 22.8 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 85.4 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 59.9 %

2.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 Grain 2 39.9 %

0.01 kg Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC) Grain 3 0.2 %

50.00 g Galaxy [14.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 4 22.8 IBUs

50.00 g Galaxy [14.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 5 0.0 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Ben10. Legend. I'll give it a crack smile

I hope I can pick your, or someone else's brain for a couple of further questions.

How long after flameout do you wait before adding the hops and whirlpooling?

and

How long after that until you transfer to cube?

I've just kinda winged it on my brews so far. It's worked ok - thoigh I don't really have anything to compare it to and it's pretty inconsistent. It would be good to get an idea of what others have as standard practise.

Thanks heaps.

Hi all

I adopted Ben 10's recipe and adapted it for my own system.

v1 was as Benny did it. 50g flameout and 50g dry. The hops weren't that fresh, and the beer ended up with a harsh tone to it. Could have been from the hops or the long time spent at high temps in the cube - or both. I don't know and won't know.

v2 is here https://club.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/17884/?page=1#p207199

I just bottled this yesterday, but samples throughout fermentation and at bottling indicate that this beer is much less bitter, way fruitier and what I was aiming for. It is like a S&W Pacific Ale, but a bit hoppier and to my tastes.

First time cube hopping and first time cube chilling. I think I will do this in the future for hoppy pale ales because I have some control and knowledge of how long the wort stays hot, (80C and above, so isomerisation temperatures).

I didn't use the roast barley for colour adjustment as I don't mind the beer being a very pale straw yellow.

Popover, I cracked the first of my all grain pacific ale v2 today. Only a week in the bottle but I always try a bottle at the 1 week mark. It's carbonated, light straw in colour, very simple and light malt bill which translates to high drinkability. The Galaxy hops really shine through and there is not a hint of harsh bitterness I had with v1. Could be the hops being a fresh 2017 harvest, or it could be the hop bill (I think it's likely to be both).

I'm really happy with this beer, it is what I aimed to brew and it came out exactly how I want it in the glass. Am going to bring a handful to a spear fishing competition this coming Sunday for a post-dive thirst quencher.

Good luck with the beer, whatever hop schedule u go for, big thanks to Ben10 for the original recipe which I have tweaked to suit my equipment and my tastes. Without this forum I'd still be trying to nail this beer!

Good luck with the beer' date=' whatever hop schedule u go for, big thanks to Ben10 for the original recipe which I have tweaked to suit my equipment and my tastes. Without this forum I'd still be trying to nail this beer![/quote']

biggrin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it was early. Best part of the day I reckon. (I've just finished cleaning up my gear after today's brewing.)

I set the timer the night before so I was ready to start mashing in as soon as I woke up.

I bastardised the grain bill a little to use what I had on hand. I got a bit scared and added the flameout hops a bit later too - after it had cooled to mid 90's. I also put the cube in a big bucket of water and changed it a couple of times. I'm not sure whether these changes actually had any real effect but it made me feel better about it at the time haha.

The initial sample from the boil tasted quite bitter - though it always does to me. The sample I tasted before bottling was very good. The smell was also great.

I'm off the beers fo another couple of weeks (self imposed pre season thing) so am very much looking forward to cracking one of these. I'll report back.

Archived