Coopers Community

Krausen Collar Vs Fermenting vessel

Peter_1983

Hi there,

I have a horrible feeling that this might get more than one answer as this could be down to personal preference.

I have a Krausen Collar fermenter and the old school bucket with the Airlock, I was going to do a basic brew in each one and see which one works best, or should I start my brewing experience using the Krausen collar, and then switch to the other Fermenting vessel?

Which FV do you prefer to use?

You can use any vessel to make beer, even your bathtub - just don't get in the bath with the brew. lol

The Coopers DIY Beer FV (been available since Oct 2010) carries many advantages over the old style airlock thingy.

Have a look through our FAQs on this topic.

I have had various FVs over time. I currently have two that I use; a Coopers FV and a 30L water container from Bunnings (covered with glad wrap and secured with the o-ring).

In terms of making beer - they are both the same and there is no taste difference.

Preference - I like using the Coopers FV. Not because it makes better beer but I like the design and features it has.

Hey Peter

Listen to Hairy and get on with it.

I've only used the traditional style FV once, and without the airlock. From what I've read and my single experience the traditional FV is a PITA when it comes to cleaning.

The Coopers DIY fermenter is a piece of cake to clean. Flat surfaces and a massive opening at the top. I don't use the collar any more, I only ever brew 21 litres and never high octane stouts and the like.

After I keg I rinse the FV, sometimes I need to use my hand to wipe the high tide mark off but most often running hot water does the trick. I fill the FV with warm to hot water and let is soak until I can immerse my arm in the water. Then I use a cloth, Flannel, to wash the FV surfaces, I then drain the water, remove the tap and dismantle to clean, rinse and reassemble and put the FV away.

On brew day I fill with water to rinse and sanitise with Starsan.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

A lot of people seem to use Oxy Clean, and Starsan, are there available at Big W and Target? (I assume Washing up liquid and elbow grease wouldn't be recommended).

I have a Heat temp controller on order and as soon as that comes through the Door i will get my first brew on the go, the ambient temp in the house in perth atm is floating around 28/29.

One of my mates has made himself official taste tester. haha

Thank you for the info I will use the Krausen Collar as it seems easier to use and clean

Hey Peter

You don't want to be using dish washing liquid on your brew gear rightful

Have a look online at Craft Brewer, they stock Starsan and a host of brewery cleaners - I use PBW for my plate chiller.

However for my DIY FV I rely on hot water and elbow grease only. For my kegs I also rely on hot water and only elbow grease and a brush if there is any type of build up. When I was bottling it was the same, hot water and a bottle brush. You can soak your gear in sodium percarbonate - the Coopers cleaner or no brand napisan.

Basically you just need to make sure its clean before you sanitise. Sanitising in the most important and you can't sanitise dirt.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I use the coopers fermenter with the collar.

Having said that I’m a but of a set and forget guy. And often I don’t even remove the collar for the whole brew.

If I have a small batch on(19lt or less). Then I don’t even put the collar on at all.

I also find the the coopers fermenter has lots of space at the bottom before the tap.

I found it a hassle on bottling day with tilting the fermenter for a long time for the last few bottles. And trying to not disturb the yeast cake.

But now I bulk prime using another fv and has solved that headache.

Cheers.

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the info

I finally have everything I need.

Temp regulator & coopers sodium percarbonate

I will be starting a batch either Friday or Saturday.

I have a brita filter jug that I heard takes the chlorine and chloramine out the water. what do you guys use to filter the water?

what do you guys use to filter the water?
I don't. lol

I use potassium metabisulphite to remove chloramines now that I'm brewing all grain and boiling the whole wort' date=' but when I did kits I didn't bother doing anything with the water and never had an issue. Where abouts are you located?[/quote']

Hi Otto,

I'm in Perth and when I drink the tap water here all I taste is chlorine. However growing up I was spoiled and lived in scotland and the water up there is incredible

Archived