Coopers Community

Xxxx bitter clone

Drunken goat

Can you do a small boil on the stove? If so

2 tins of light malt extract

Steep in 65c water of 50 grams of roasted barley and 100gms of crystal malt

400 grams of table sugar

30gm of cluster and boil with about half a tin of extract and the sugar for 60 mins in about 5L of water.

Strain the boil and the steeped grains into your fermenter. Add the rest of the fermentables. Stir to mix in and top up with cold water to 21L. Ferment at 10c with Danish lager yeast (Thats the key)

Will get you close.

• Like 1

I'd do that but leave the sugar out of the boil until about 10 minutes to go. 50g roasted barley will make it too dark, use about 10g, crystal addition is up to you but I didn't use any in mine. I used raw sugar in mine, and dissolved it in water before adding to the boil; I used 500g but I was making 25L so stick with 400g. I also threw in a later addition of Cluster with about 10 minutes left in the boil as well. Danish lager yeast @ 10C which you'll most likely need to build a starter for; I did a side by side test with a real one when mine was on tap and it wasn't far off, mine probably had a touch more flavor.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I have a Question, never done this before - so sorry if its stupid

When boiling the cluster and extract are they done separately to the steeped gains or is it all in the one pot ?

Recipe: Cluster Fxxx
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Premium American Lager
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 30.00 L
Post Boil Volume: 25.03 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L   
Bottling Volume: 21.60 L
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 16.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 34.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.4 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          93.0 %        2.61 L        
0.05 kg          Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1000.8 EBC)     Grain         2          1.2 %         0.03 L        
0.25 kg          Sugar, Table (Sucrose) [Boil] (2.0 EBC)          Sugar         3          5.8 %         0.16 L        
15.00 g          Dana [13.90 %] - Boil 90.0 min                   Hop           4          23.5 IBUs     -             
4.00 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        5          -             -             
50.00 g          Cluster [6.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           6          10.9 IBUs     -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 2

12 hours ago, homa said:

thank you although I am more confused,

may I please ask what would be the process then

You steep the grains in some hot water for about 30-40 minutes, then tip the whole lot through a strainer into another pot to remove the grains. Top up to the desired volume with water, add some extract then bring it all to a boil. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for the help I managed to try the first recipe posted, it was my first time moving on from just doing the tins 

it came out quite dark and tastes like Tooheys Old, its got that burnt wood smell and taste